Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

List.Dates - how to list duration in months

I used the following DAX formula to create a custom column to generate the list of due dates of reports.  

List.Dates([StartDate], [DateDifference]+1, #duration(1,0,0,0))

The number '1' in duration is for'days'.  I have a separate column for the 'number of months' which I will use to determine the next reporting date.  How do I change the duration in the formula from 'days' to 'months'?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Below your code, adjusted according to the remarks in my previous post.

And outlined.

(If you paste code on this forum, you can use the button "Insert Code" (left from the smiley), which results in better layout).

I can't test of course, but it should work. At least no syntax errors are reported.

let
    Source = SharePoint.Files("https://wvaus-my.sharepoint.com/personal/iris_yeong_worldvision_com_au/", [ApiVersion = 15]),
    #"PPP Income Pipeline and Compliance Register TEST_10Jan18 xlsm_https://wvaus-my sharepoint com/personal/iris_yeong_worldvision_com_au/Documents/Power BI/" = Source{[Name="PPP Income Pipeline and Compliance Register TEST_10Jan18.xlsm",#"Folder Path"="https://wvaus-my.sharepoint.com/personal/iris_yeong_worldvision_com_au/Documents/Power BI/"]}[Content],
    #"Imported Excel" = Excel.Workbook(#"PPP Income Pipeline and Compliance Register TEST_10Jan18 xlsm_https://wvaus-my sharepoint com/personal/iris_yeong_worldvision_com_au/Documents/Power BI/"),
    Table3020_Table = #"Imported Excel"{[Item="Table3020",Kind="Table"]}[Data],

BufferedSource = Table.Buffer(Table3020_Table),
    AddedDueDates =
    Table.AddColumn(
        BufferedSource,
        "Due Dates",
        (earlier) => List.Generate(
            () => [DueDate = earlier[Due Date to Donor], Counter = earlier[Months]],
            each [DueDate] <= earlier[End date],
            each [DueDate = Date.AddMonths(earlier[Due Date to Donor],[Counter]),
                  Counter = [Counter] + earlier[Months]],
            each [DueDate])),
    ExpandedDueDates = Table.ExpandListColumn(AddedDueDates, "Due Dates"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(ExpandedDueDates,{{"Due Dates", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

Yes, just replace the first line in the AddedDueDates step to:

Table.AddColumn(BufferedSource, "Due Dates", (earlier) => if earlier[#"Months "] = 0 then {earlier[Due Date to Donor]} else List.Generate(

Actually, the sinlge date is also a list (with 1 item) otherwise you would get an error when the nested lists are expanded in the next step.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

@Anonymous,

By the way, you may help accept the useful solution. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

An alternative solution with calculations.

The 3rd example initially gets the last due date on June 30, 2019, but that will be filtered out as it is after the End date (June 1, 2019). This situation only occurs if the last due date is in the same month as the end date.

let
    Source = #table(type table[Due Date to Donor = date, Months = Int64.Type, End date = date],{
        {#date(2014,12,31),12,#date(2018,5,31)},
        {#date(2017,10,1),3,#date(2018,8,10)},
        {#date(2017,12,30),6,#date(2019,6,1)}}),
    AddedPeriodInMonths = Table.AddColumn(Source,"PeriodInMonths", each 12*(Date.Year([End date])-Date.Year([Due Date to Donor]))+Date.Month([End date])-Date.Month([Due Date to Donor])),
    AddedNoOfDonations = Table.AddColumn(AddedPeriodInMonths, "NoOfDonations", each Number.IntegerDivide([PeriodInMonths], [Months]), Int64.Type),
    AddedMonths = Table.AddColumn(AddedNoOfDonations, "DonationMoments", each {0..[NoOfDonations]}),
    ExpandedMonths = Table.ExpandListColumn(AddedMonths, "DonationMoments"),
    AddedDueDates = Table.AddColumn(ExpandedMonths, "DueDates", each Date.AddMonths([Due Date to Donor],[Months]*[DonationMoments])),
    Filtered = Table.SelectRows(AddedDueDates, each [DueDates] <= [End date]),
    RemovedColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(Filtered,{"PeriodInMonths", "NoOfDonations", "DonationMoments"}),
    Typed = Table.TransformColumnTypes(RemovedColumns,{{"DueDates", type date}})
in
    Typed

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.