Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Linking date dimension to multiple tables (dates)

Hi guys,

I am having problems with my data model. 

I have a table where people book hours (The action table), date = activity date .
I have another table where those booked hours (from another system) end up: the clarity table, date = date occurred.

Then I have a date dimension which I want to use to filter both the dates from these tables at once, so I can check for mismatches between the systems across days / weeks / months etc.

However, it is impossible to link the date dimension to both the tables and keep active relationships, making it unable to filter all the data from the two tables with the "overarching" date dimension.

Datamodel.JPG

There is a many to many relationship between the two tables, because people book multiple times per day in both systems.
How to fix the date issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should NOT link dates from fact to fact (action to book).

The direction of the relationship should be monodirectional whenever possible (and I don't see a valid reason to have them bi in this model).

Remove that relationship between the Action and the Clarity OR leave it inactive and enable it when needed using USERELATIONSHIP.

Then re-think your model based on the business needs. Do you start from Clarity to filter actions? Use a metric to obtain your data and enable the relationship when needed.

Cases like this require a careful planning of your business needs or you end up in an unmanageable model (and based on what I see you started with the wrong foot).

Take a basic tutorial on data modeling and relationships in PowerBI. They're not simply arrows with filters, they're fundamental.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should NOT link dates from fact to fact (action to book).

The direction of the relationship should be monodirectional whenever possible (and I don't see a valid reason to have them bi in this model).

Remove that relationship between the Action and the Clarity OR leave it inactive and enable it when needed using USERELATIONSHIP.

Then re-think your model based on the business needs. Do you start from Clarity to filter actions? Use a metric to obtain your data and enable the relationship when needed.

Cases like this require a careful planning of your business needs or you end up in an unmanageable model (and based on what I see you started with the wrong foot).

Take a basic tutorial on data modeling and relationships in PowerBI. They're not simply arrows with filters, they're fundamental.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Created a better datamodel, now its working

datamda.JPG

Hello Chris,

I wonder how you could join more than one table to the date table without an indirect relationship. I have tried similar and I have an indirect relationship. I would appreciate your insight.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now this one looks much better 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.