Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sebco

Linking Contact Name to Responses from Customer Voice

Hello, I am beiginner so sorry if the question is basic but I have not found an answer to it yet.

I am trying to link comments made in a survey to the contact that made these comments as a list in PowerBI.  I am able to show all the comments, the survey it came from but I am getting a "Error: Can't determine relationships between the fields" when trying to add the name of the contact who made the comment. I have tried using msfp_surveyresponse[msfp_respondent] and contact[fullname] but it does not work.  The relationhips between the tables look ok.

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

can you post a screen shot of what you are plotting on your visuals?

the other issue is the direction of your arrows in the relationship and how you are filtering.  As you can see the direction the arrows are going in, it all depends on what data you are plotting on your visual  as even having a relationship wont necessarily solve the issue because if the arrow is pointing in the direction opposite 

for example if you are using fields from questionresponse, the arrow is pointing in the incorrect direction to filter data from survey.   

So you either need to remodel your solution or use bidirectional relationships (setting the relationship to both rather than single) which are not always advised as they might give  incorrect results particularly if you dont understand how they work.    It also might be easier to merge all the data into one flat table in power query if you dont have a lot of data.

vanessafvg_0-1642926472429.png

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

can you post a screen shot of what you are plotting on your visuals?

the other issue is the direction of your arrows in the relationship and how you are filtering.  As you can see the direction the arrows are going in, it all depends on what data you are plotting on your visual  as even having a relationship wont necessarily solve the issue because if the arrow is pointing in the direction opposite 

for example if you are using fields from questionresponse, the arrow is pointing in the incorrect direction to filter data from survey.   

So you either need to remodel your solution or use bidirectional relationships (setting the relationship to both rather than single) which are not always advised as they might give  incorrect results particularly if you dont understand how they work.    It also might be easier to merge all the data into one flat table in power query if you dont have a lot of data.

vanessafvg_0-1642926472429.png

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

can you show a screen shot of your data and what you are trying to link on.  Also what kind of relatonship have you craeted.   It doesn't look like your tables are links.

If you can post all the relative information or share your pbix from any cloud source

1. screenshot of relationship view

2. screenshot of the actual relationship itself on what fields it is on

3. screenshot of the data you are trying to link, both tables

Here is the relationship view:

sebco_0-1642868139741.png

Here are the tables:

sebco_2-1642868336571.png

I am trying to show in a PowerBI table msfp_questionresponse[msfp_response] with msfp_surveyresponse[msfp_respondent] 

yeah ok i see what the issue is  you have an inactive relationship, in order for your tables to talk to each other they have to have an active relationship, if you edit the relationship change it to active and it should work.

When you have an inactive relationship, you need to use USERELATIONSHIP() to activate it.  But you you only really use inactive relationships when you have more than one on a table, as there can only be on primary relationship.

We you make the relationship active, it should see the relationship

vanessafvg_0-1642876440780.png

Thank you for helping. I thought it would solve it but this relationship is one I had added because the standrad one was not working.  This is why it was not active (it could not be activated because other relationships were already in place.  I have removed it and now showing you the standard tables that should link msfp_questionresponse[msfp_response] to msfp_surveyresponse[msfp_respondent] for my table:

sebco_0-1642884960030.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.