Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

singhal14
Helper I
Helper I

Linked Reports

Hi guys, Is there any way by which I can create linked reports in power bi i.e. if I click on an object on my report then another report gets opened (not in a different tab in my web browser) and when I click on back button from the newly opened report then I am sent back to the original report?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @singhal14,

The requirement is called Drill through report in SQL Server Reporting Services report. And this feature is not supported in Power BI currently. The closest workaround is adding a hyperlink to a dashboard tile.

1. Select the pencil icon   to edit the tile.

2. Place a checkmark in Set custom link and enter a URL

If this is not what you want, you can submit your idea on the link below. If this feature was mentioned by mulitple users, product team will consider to add this feature to next release.
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

I am looking for an anwer to the question re: Linked reports. in SSRS one can create a linked report to allow a copy of the report in location 1 to be availbale in location 2.  this way one does not have to maintain 2 copies of the same report. Surely this should be possible within power BI server- but I can't find the functionality?

Hey everyone ( @BrookBracewell , @gleites , @nirupreddy ),

Found this thread while trying to determine if actual Power BI reports can be linked reports under Power BI Report Server.  Apparently not 😞

BUT, I am running PBIRS and can answer the question about linked reports in general and provide a screenshot.

The answer is "yes, but only paginated reports can be made linked reports".  This is exactly the same as linked reports under SSRS.  The "Create linked report" option circled in red below is on the initial Manage screen for a specific paginated report.  I have a bunch of these myself, and many were upgraded from SSRS to PBIRS when I first installed it, so I know that works as well.  NOTE:  I've applied my own branding to the portal.

PBIRS Linked Report menu item.png

Could somebody answer this question if Power BI has linked reports functionality like SSRS has?

not sure if you've already found the functionality, but it is under 'Report>Manage>Properties>Create Linked Report'.

hi,

Can you kindly post a screenshot of the options you are referring to.
Thanks in advance

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to see a screenshot too. An awesome advantage of a linked report is I can prefilter it to a specific parameter/field without having to have an actual duplicate of the report.

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @singhal14,

The requirement is called Drill through report in SQL Server Reporting Services report. And this feature is not supported in Power BI currently. The closest workaround is adding a hyperlink to a dashboard tile.

1. Select the pencil icon   to edit the tile.

2. Place a checkmark in Set custom link and enter a URL

If this is not what you want, you can submit your idea on the link below. If this feature was mentioned by mulitple users, product team will consider to add this feature to next release.
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.