cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shamatix Post Patron
Post Patron

Link to Local file rather than a WEB URL?

Hello fellow users,

I am trying to convert a report from another BI product and I seriously cant figure out how I can make a link to a local file in power bi, I can find it for web urls.. but I want to press a link and open a file?

10 REPLIES 10
Microsoft v-jiascu-msft
Microsoft

Re: Link to Local file rather than a WEB URL?

@Shamatix

Hi,

You can use “file” link type. It looks like this in the picture. This is latest feature in may edition. Please reference these two links to find more.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Can-not-hyperlink-to-file-in-computer/m-p/169095/highlight/t...

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/#urlTables

Link to Local file rather than a WEB URL.jpg

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Shamatix Post Patron
Post Patron

@v-jiascu-msft

I tried doing that, and the links do become blue but I cant click em and open the file. I am using Power Bi Desktop.

Microsoft v-jiascu-msft
Microsoft

@Shamatix

Hi,

This feature isn't supported in Power BI desktop by far. Maybe it will be in the future. Here is cited from official blog:

If you want to use file URLs, there are some limitations. They will not open in the Power BI Desktop, only in web browsers. For most browsers, you will need to right click on the link, copy the link address, and paste the URL in a new tab.

Link: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/#urlTables

Best regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MikelPC
Frequent Visitor

Hello, I've created an idea to support this feature improvement:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/33366481-open-local-files-file-di...

Months are passing, and there is no improvemnt on url features since May 2017. For me is an important feature that can make more powerful the power bi.

Cristian_Angyal Advocate III
Advocate III

It's' working for me as FILE.

Make sure to replace in Power Query every "\" with "/" and every " "(space) with "%20"

Thanks.

vasanthilatha
Regular Visitor

Hey, Is there any update available where by click on the local folder link it shoul open it inthe browser automatically??

cnschulz Helper III
Helper III

Gday, 

For me, this works in ie but not in chrome. Im using file://xx.xx.com.au/file.tif style links.

NelsonCastillo
Frequent Visitor

thanks a lot for this alternative

NelsonCastillo
Frequent Visitor

Hi Cristian, is not working for me

I replace in "\" with "/" and every " "(space) with "%20",

An example:

file://D:/Dropbox/CONTACTOS%20&%20CLIENTES/CENACE/Reglamento%20interno%20GRUPO%20CENACE%20COLABORATIVA%20.pdf

nothing happens in chrome or edge nor in desktop

I obtained the file download option only, pasting the path like url

Thanks for your help

byebye

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors