Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Shamatix
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Link to Local file rather than a WEB URL?

Hello fellow users,

I am trying to convert a report from another BI product and I seriously cant figure out how I can make a link to a local file in power bi, I can find it for web urls.. but I want to press a link and open a file?

15 REPLIES 15
bronson

It's 2023. Is this an option yet? Something I could do in Excel and Tableau. I would like to do the same with Power BI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

We had the same issue and used following steps to solve it: 

1. STEP 1: Install an adding called 'Enable Local File Links' for Chrome. 
  2. STEP 2: Test and succeed!

The Chrome Add-In can be found here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enable-local-file-links/nikfmfgobenbhmocjaaboihbeocackld/r...

All credits to my customer Tim V.C. 🙌

kangaru
Advocate I
Advocate I

@amitchandak - I see you are listed as the Top Solution Author. This thread seems to indicate that there was a solution, but I am not seeing any. Please see my prior post and let me know if you have any suggestions or a solution. Thanks!

kangaru
Advocate I
Advocate I

This is very basic functionality, I am shocked that PowerBI does not have it. Tableau has this feature and it works great there. Basically, we have a report with URLs in one column -- clicking on the link should either download the file or open the URL. I'm seeing requests and questions about this dating back to 2017, and still nothing?? Is there anyone at Microsoft who monitors this?

pcostapa
Frequent Visitor

Facing the same problem... file:// + not local file = syntax err. I'm trying to open a file:// url (it is not stored in my computer neither it is a shared folder but text box and button action gets a syntax err...

Any one with an idea of a work around?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, Is there any update available where by click on the local folder link it shoul open it inthe browser automatically??

Gday, 

For me, this works in ie but not in chrome. Im using file://xx.xx.com.au/file.tif style links.

MikelPC
Frequent Visitor

Hello, I've created an idea to support this feature improvement:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/33366481-open-local-files-file-di...

Months are passing, and there is no improvemnt on url features since May 2017. For me is an important feature that can make more powerful the power bi.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@Shamatix

Hi,

You can use “file” link type. It looks like this in the picture. This is latest feature in may edition. Please reference these two links to find more.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Can-not-hyperlink-to-file-in-computer/m-p/169095/highlight/t...

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/#urlTables

Link to Local file rather than a WEB URL.jpg

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It's' working for me as FILE.

Make sure to replace in Power Query every "\" with "/" and every " "(space) with "%20"

Thanks.

Hi Cristian, is not working for me

I replace in "\" with "/" and every " "(space) with "%20",

An example:

file://D:/Dropbox/CONTACTOS%20&%20CLIENTES/CENACE/Reglamento%20interno%20GRUPO%20CENACE%20COLABORATIVA%20.pdf

nothing happens in chrome or edge nor in desktop

I obtained the file download option only, pasting the path like url

Thanks for your help

byebye

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any news on this? I'm having the same issue. When I click on the link, nothing happens. I set its category as Web URL. 

This is the main stopper for a report I'm working on.

thanks a lot for this alternative

@v-jiascu-msft

I tried doing that, and the links do become blue but I cant click em and open the file. I am using Power Bi Desktop.

@Shamatix

Hi,

This feature isn't supported in Power BI desktop by far. Maybe it will be in the future. Here is cited from official blog:

If you want to use file URLs, there are some limitations. They will not open in the Power BI Desktop, only in web browsers. For most browsers, you will need to right click on the link, copy the link address, and paste the URL in a new tab.

Link: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/#urlTables

Best regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.