Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

helalm
Helper II
Helper II

Link Report Template Fields with Corresponding Data in Power BI

I have a report template designed in Word/Excel document with more than 50 text boxes/cells. I need to link each cell with corresponding data in Power BI table matrix. Since the template is a full report not all boxes/cells correspond to data. My question is what's the best and efficient way to format the template in Power BI that when data refreshes, the temple/text boxes refresh as well?

Are there custom visualizations that may make this task easier? do I need to make indivisual text box for each template cell and then link to corresponding data?

Below is a sample of the lengthy template fields with corresponding data (not real number amd where exisit) in Power BI matrix/table:

TEMPLATE FIELDSDATA
Section 1: Policy cash flows to/(from) Ceding Company (gross)Title No Data 

First Year Premium (net of returns and refunds of premiums)$100,000 
   Less: Premium paid on Third Party Reinsurance$20,000 

Renewal Premium (net of returns and refunds of premiums)$500,000 
   Less: Premium paid on Third Party Reinsurance$70,000 

ATOTAL PremiumSum of above figures 

Full Surrenders $5,000 
 End of Guarantee Period Full Withdrawls$5,300 
 Partial Surrenders $5,600 
 End of Guarantee Period Partial Withdrawls$5,900 
 Cancellations$6,200 
 Annuity Benefits $6,500 
 Death Claims$6,800 
 Annuity Payments under Supplemental Contracts$7,100 
 Surrender Charges$7,400 
 Premium Tax$7,700 
   Less: Net amounts paid (to)/from Third Party Reinsurers$8,000 
BTOTAL ClaimsSum of above figures 

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @helalm ,

What could you mean about  "the best and efficient way to format the template in Power BI that when data refreshes, the temple/text boxes refresh as well" ?

If you want to refresh your data in Power BI Desktop, you can perform a one-time, manual refresh right in Power BI Desktop by selecting Refresh on the Home ribbon. 

1.PNG

When you import your Power BI Desktop file from a local drive, data, along with other information about the model is loaded into a dataset in the Power BI service. In the Power BI service, not Power BI Desktop, you want to refresh data in the dataset because that is what your reports, in the Power BI service, are based on. Because the data sources are external, you can manually refresh the dataset by using Refresh now or you can setup a refresh schedule by using Schedule Refresh.

Reference:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-desktop-file-local-drive

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

And in your scenario, I suggest you upload your file in OneDrive or SharePoint, once you save the file those changes will be updated in the Power BI service too, usually within about an hour.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-desktop-file-onedrive

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you Daniel,

My question was mostly the first part. How do I link data into the specific text boxes? for example, I have created a report Matrix that includes Premium value of $100,000. The question is how do I link that 100k from a matrix table to this template under DATA? Do I have to create hyperlinks for each cell in the matrix and then copy th elink inside the template text box? taht's my question of best and efficient way to do this.

Thank You,

Helal

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.