Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SP
Frequent Visitor

Link MS Team excel spreadsheet link to

Hi All,

Have a power BI report linked to excel source placed in shared location.

The excel is now placed in Microsoft Teams site.I have been provided an url to link teh Power Bi report.

Is there any way i can connect teh report URl to existing Power BI report.

Thanks,

Sukriti

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SP,

You can get the Excel link in Teams follow this article

q3.PNGq4.PNG

Now you get the link, please remove ?web=1 string at the end of the link as mentioned in the article. 

Open the original report in Power BI desktop, go to Query Editor-> Advanced Editor, modify the source step with below: 

Source = Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents("<URL you got from above steps>"), null, true),

q5.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Dimani
Helper I
Helper I

Hello,

Is there any update on this?  My colleague was able to pull the data from an Excel file in Teams in Power BI Desktop during design time.   After he uploaded it to a Power BI Report Server, he cannot login through the report's Manage -> Data Source.

Thanks

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SP,

You can get the Excel link in Teams follow this article

q3.PNGq4.PNG

Now you get the link, please remove ?web=1 string at the end of the link as mentioned in the article. 

Open the original report in Power BI desktop, go to Query Editor-> Advanced Editor, modify the source step with below: 

Source = Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents("<URL you got from above steps>"), null, true),

q5.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun,

After I amend the file path in the query editor page, Power BI returns me with this error: 

"Expression.Error: Access to the resource is forbidden." 

Do you know what might be the cause and how to resolve it?

Cheers,

Kev

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have same problem. How can I solve it? 

Thanks

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Thanks for your response.

But i checked with MS support team and they responded with belwo response:

"

As discussed over the call, Microsoft Teams is not a default connector from Power BI desktop , We will be passing this to Product development for feature enhancement. As an Work Around you can use  SharePoint and different SharePoint   connectors are available in Power BI desktop."

So i have moved my excel file to SharePoint. But will surely try yoru suggestion as well.

Thanks,

Hi @SP,

Yes there indeed isn't a specific Microsoft Team connector in Power BI desktop. But as I suggested before, you can use web data source to get data. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.