Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

droupa
Frequent Visitor

Link Actual data to Budgeted data

Hi All,

I am new to power BI. I would like to do a simple comparison between actual Revenue versus budgeted Revenue.

I have a Calendar DAX table that has fiscal periods that is linked to my sales data by "Date" field.

I have budgeted data in a separate table with budgeted Revenue per month.

I cannot have 2 active links to the Date column from budget and actuals to my calendar, as only one can be active, so I created a duplicate of the Calendar called Budget Calendar.

How to I link all the tables so I can compare Actual Revenue per month with budgeted Revenue for that month?

Thanks,

BI.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you have multiple relationships, you can use USERELATIONSHIP. Also, I often create a disconnected date table and implement the relationshp logic within the measure calculations. Really depends on your data and what you are trying to accomplish. Sample data and expected output are key. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you @Greg_Deckler ; I incorporated the USERELATIONSHIP in my formula for my budgeted revenue sum as follows:

Total Revenue (Budget) = calculate(sum(Budget[Revenue (Budget)]),USERELATIONSHIP(Reservations[Arrival],'Calendar'[Date]))

I created an inactive link between my budget date and my calander date.

However, my table is still showing the full budget revenue for all time instead of per year .

If you could help I would be really grateful!

Really going to need sample data and expected output. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Ok. here is a link to the excel data i am using and screenshots of my ttables, visualizations, and relationships in Power BI. (I removed personal information from my data in this folder)

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aki0Gzjmz4Y3wAhXRFvIKts-VrLY

I basically want to show actuals against budgets, but my budgets are not being filtered by year in Power BI, as in the excel pivot table

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.