Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

FalconBudget
Frequent Visitor

Line graph with two time markers

I am working on a budget vs actual reporting dashboard. We do monthly planing, so we want to be able to see how the whole year is planned out (ie there may be a planned spike in November) but only want to see the actuals up to the selected month. I have every other visualization interact with the month & year drop down, but if I do so for the line graph I just have two dots.

Is there a way to have the budget show for the entire year but limit the data shown for actuals? Without the beforementioned limitations, there are financials posted to months that haven't closed yet, causing issues like below where they have negative expenses for March, which is not true.

Budget (black) needs to show 12 months of projection where Actuals (green) should only show up to the month selectedBudget (black) needs to show 12 months of projection where Actuals (green) should only show up to the month selected

Here is how our old graph looked in excel:

Old excel graph (it ends at selected month)Old excel graph (it ends at selected month)

And the work around with a separate hidden pivot chart; essentially erroring out the actuals after the selected month:

excel line graph pivot.PNG

Thank you!

FalconBudget

4 REPLIES 4
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @FalconBudget ,

Could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered to close this topic?

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Howdy, this has not yet been resolved. The answer you posted was interesting but not quite what I was looking for. I am going to keep trying different things. 

Hi @FalconBudget ,

Ok, if your problem could be sloved, don't forget to close this topic.

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @FalconBudget ,

What is your desired result for your line graph? Could you mean to dynamic change the x-axis for your visual by the data slicers?

If so, you could refer to below link:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Dynamic-change-in-X-Axis/td-p/86167

If it still could not help you, could you please share your pbix to have a test and post your desired result if possible?

Regards,

Daniel He

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.