Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Line graph with dots/markers and no line

Hi, 

I'm hoping to recreate a graph similar to the below in power bi? It was created in excel by adding 'markers' to the line graph and removing the actual line. 

anyone able to help?

Capture70.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi SoniaL,

To change marker and line style, please drag a column to “legend” and switch to format->legend->style like below:

3.png4.png

Best Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

Stroke Width 2.PNG Removing the LineRemoving the LineStroke Width Zero.PNG

Go to Chart Format options >> Shapes, then set Stroke Width to 0 (Zero)

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
catherinewhite
Frequent Visitor

Another thing to check if you have no line and all of the answers above are not working:

If one of your values is NaN (not a number), then the line will not generate. I forgot to filter out one column with no data in it, and I got no line at all. Once I remember to filter out that bogus column, the line could then appear.

rocky09
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Anonymous

I Believe, you are using Line and Stacked Column Chart.

1. Go to Chart Format options, Go to Data color then Select the Color to white (Hiding the line)

2. Now, just below , there is a section called Shapes, Just Select Show Marker. That's it.

I am actually having the same issue to solve. Changing line color to white does not help as it actually is white and if that overlaps with columns, then you can see white lines.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @rocky09,

I can't see a 'show marker' option under shapes...

Capture14.PNG

Also, in some cases, the line goes over the columns, so you can see the white ... there's no way to turn the line off completely?

Thanks again, 

Sonia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ignore that, i released my x axis had to be on 'categorical'!

Ideally i can change the line to transperant, but I'm not sure there's an option for that... 

Thanks for your help!

Hi SoniaL,

To change marker and line style, please drag a column to “legend” and switch to format->legend->style like below:

3.png4.png

Best Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuta-msft,

This does not solve my problem. I am not trying to modify the look of the legend but I want to show a value using columns and another using markers only.

Like this:

columns and markers.PNG

How can I do it?

Thanks!

Stroke Width 2.PNG Removing the LineRemoving the LineStroke Width Zero.PNG

Go to Chart Format options >> Shapes, then set Stroke Width to 0 (Zero)

Finally, someone understood the problem. This should be the accepted answer. Thanks.

@mykbitz  Looks like show marker is no longer available in power BI? When I change the stroke to 0 I lose everything.

Sorry about that I found the answer now, need to make x-axis categorical first.

combined.png

@mykbitz Genius Mate

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unbelievable.

So much time spent searching for this, so many help threads, and such a simple solution.... Good job Microsoft 😞

This should be a very new functionality as I am sure I have tried to put it to 0 and did not work earlier. Now it works fine! Thank you!

I don't seem to have that option to show only markers. I am on March 2018 version - shouldn't it work there also?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.