Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaneM123
Frequent Visitor

Line graph - show gridline at top

I have a line graph in a report that shows like this:

Capture.PNG

What I would like would be for the graph to show the line for 3k (or whatever gridline would come next, depending on the graph). I know I could set the maximum value for the y axis, but then when I look at a different level of the data - where there might be 20,000 nominations - the line wouldn't show. Is there a way to always show the gridline above the maximum value?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

@DaneM123

Do you mean that Y-Axis label is truncated in Line Chart when setting Y-Axis minimum to 0 and leaving Y-Axis maximum as Auto? If that is the case, this is by design currently.

The following response is from product team.

Once users set a min or max axis value, we use a combination of the specified values and/or the actual values where the user has not defined a value. So, once you set the Min, we change logic. Max is undefined so we use the real max value as the top. Dropping the last label is by design to there is minimal whitespace and so we respect what the user has specified.

All that said, we have discussed a plan to expose part of this behavior to the user as an option. The axis ticks can be rounded "nicely" to include the next label based on the tick interval - which would show 3k in this case. We will leave defaults as-is so existing visuals aren't affected, but we plan to introduce a new toggle to control whether the axis should extend to the next tick interval outside the domain or not.

No ETA right now, hopefully by end of this year.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

@DaneM123

Do you mean that Y-Axis label is truncated in Line Chart when setting Y-Axis minimum to 0 and leaving Y-Axis maximum as Auto? If that is the case, this is by design currently.

The following response is from product team.

Once users set a min or max axis value, we use a combination of the specified values and/or the actual values where the user has not defined a value. So, once you set the Min, we change logic. Max is undefined so we use the real max value as the top. Dropping the last label is by design to there is minimal whitespace and so we respect what the user has specified.

All that said, we have discussed a plan to expose part of this behavior to the user as an option. The axis ticks can be rounded "nicely" to include the next label based on the tick interval - which would show 3k in this case. We will leave defaults as-is so existing visuals aren't affected, but we plan to introduce a new toggle to control whether the axis should extend to the next tick interval outside the domain or not.

No ETA right now, hopefully by end of this year.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Thanks - that is what I was hoping for. I find that the way it is at the moment makes the graphs quite hard to interpret, as it can be quite difficult to see how close the data points are to where the next line would be. While it does eliminate some white space it introduces an unnecessary element of estimation (IMO). Glad to be this is being looked at anyway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS on Demand

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

July 2021 Update 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the July 2021 Updates

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Urdu Hindi D365 Bootcamp 768x460.png

Urdu Hindi D365 Bootcamp

Dont miss our very own April Dunnam’s The Developer Guide to the Galaxy! Find out what the Power Platform has to offer for the traditional developer.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors