Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ewuchatka
Helper II
Helper II

Line graph for changes over time - Year and Period Order

Hello

I would like to plot a line graph to show a number of  staff  in the team over time.

The issue is - the data is not organised by dates/times, but by two fields in two columns:

Years

Periods  (P1, P2, P3...etc.)

Each year has 15 periods.

I would like the graph to show changes over time for years and periods. I would like the years and periods to be ordered correctly

in the Axix X,

I would be grateful for your help.

Ewa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @ewuchatka,

Is your expectation is order Periods and Year as ordered timeline. So you need 1 order column to sort these fields by order column as topic Months Order

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @ewuchatka,

Is your expectation is order Periods and Year as ordered timeline. So you need 1 order column to sort these fields by order column as topic Months Order

Hey @tringuyenminh92

Thanks for this.

I've created a column that combines the period and year e.g. 11, 2016. Then I've created an additional column with conditional formatting. What's next? Where do I use this calculation? If I use it as a field under "Axis" then it just shows numbering I assigned from 1 onwards to my period, year fields (and it is not even in order for some reason).

I would like the the axis to show Years and Period titles. It is quite a simple thing, I hope it is possible to do 🙂

Any idea?

Ewa

Hi @ewuchatka,

Yes, i got your point, so now you need one column as Display Period Column, and one column is Order Column(int value and generated by topic that mentioned in previous reply). Then in the Modeling tab, there will be Sort by column for Display Period Column. Please take a look at that topic

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.