Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Line chart with two sets of date values? Currently only one appearing

I'm trying to achieve the following. Two cumulative measures on the same graph. 

kashmachine_0-1572360014288.png

I can get each graph displaying individually as per the below.

kashmachine_1-1572360014296.jpeg

However when attempting to build based on the same graph, I get the following. It only plots one set of values on the visual. I’ve observed that the line drawn depends on which date is placed which on the ‘Shared Axis’. If I place Demand Date above Demand ILS Date then it will plot the respective Demand ILS Date values.

kashmachine_2-1572360014303.jpeg

Anyone have any ideas of where I'm going wrong.

Other notes:

Each date has it's own separate date dimension

6 REPLIES 6
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Probably instantly fixed by creating a date table and relating your two date fields to it

Anonymous
Not applicable

I already have multiple date dimensions so each of Demand Date and ILS Date have their own date table. But that then makes plotting both on the same graph an issue unless someone can correct me

I would look at using the same date table and using USERELATIONSHIP() in the measure where you want to use the inactive relationship.

Here is a blog post covering the topic: https://carldesouza.com/power-bi-dax-userelationship-multiple-dates/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Adam,

I just wanted to clarify as I am confused by this.

As per 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/star-schema#role-playing-dimensions

I created multiple date dimensions so I have a date dimension for 'Demand Date' and 'ILS Date' but I can't plot them on the same graph.

The link you reference includes both solutions and the benefit they mention for having separate tables is that you don't need to use the USERELATIONSHIP() functionality to build the various measures so it simplifies the development experience.

One of the drawbacks of the multiple tables solution is that you can't plot measures that are based on different dates using the same date axis, if you want to do this you need to have a single common date table and activate the correct relationship depending on the measure using USERELATIONSHIP().

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much,.

Looks like I may need to rebuild my data model to use a single date table. Seems like the limitations about not being able to have two axis on the date is too serious for our requirements

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.