Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Line chart with total as a Legend

Hi,

Is it possible to show a total of sales as a legend in line chart?

I have got a dataset that contains Product(A,B,C), Date(2006,2007,2008) and Quantity(10,20,30) columns , Currenlty I'm getting a line per each product in line chart but I want to show a Total(Sum of all products) line.

I'm not sure whether it is possible or not in the power BI.

Any inputs would be much appriciated.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
BI_Climber
Regular Visitor

Hello,

I found another workaround for this that might help:

Since as described here it is not possible to add multiple columns/measures to the Value Field:
"There is a limitation for this scenario. After draging column into the "Legend" field, we can only add one value into "Value" field. For your request, we can't add another column or measure about total values when we have put the "Product" column into "Legend" Field." -Xue Ding

What worked for me was to create two of the exact same line graphs on top of each other.

The top graph has its background set to 100% transparency.

Then drag your "total" measure/column into the graph on top and your original graph with the legend to the graph underneath.

For this to look properly, the axis of both graphs must be fixed to the max and min of your totals graph on top.

The color of your axis values of the underneath graph need to be set to white. 

Finally one of the Graphs should have gridlines turned off.

There are more settings that can be adjusted but with this basic idea, the visual looks good to me.

The only drawback is that the Y-Axis is fixed and needs to be changed manually if the values change drastically.

Hope this helps.

aharts

I was looking for an answer to this and didn't find it - I did solve my own issue so I thought I'd share the answer here. 

I have traffic/transport data so what I want to do is: see the volumes by direction but also the total volume as a line. E.g. southbound, northbound and total. 

What I did: I created two quick measures, under calculation selected "filtered value", my base value is the traffic volume and the filter is a direction (so one measure is for south and one for north). Then add the two new quick measures as values in the chart as well as the unfiltered - and DONE 🙂

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You could create a calculated column to as a legend, like this:

Total = SUM('Table'[Quantity])

4.PNG5.PNG 

You could add filters based on your actual data model.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xuding-msft , I want to have a total as a seperate line aloging with other category, plesae see the below fig: I draw the red line which i need to get in the chart.

Line chart.PNG

Thank you,

Hi @Anonymous ,

Do you try the ways? Do they make sense? If the answer is helpful, please accept it as a solution. If you solved by yourself, welcome to share the solution. More people who have the same request will benefit here.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xuding-msft , This won't works for me, as all measures needs to be created manually, what if I have thousands of categories?

I want to have line per each product and totla line.

Hi @Anonymous ,

There is a limitation for this scenario. After draging column into the "Legend" field, we can only add one value into "Value" field. For your request, we can't add another column or measure about total values when we have put the "Product" column into "Legend" Field. There are two workarounds that you could try.

• If there are not many products in your table, you could create measures per products to show them.

a = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Product] = "a"))
b = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Product] = "b"))
Total = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]),ALL('Table'[Product]))

1.PNG

• If there are many products, please try to use a slicer to filter per products

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]),ALLSELECTED('Table'[Product]))
Total = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]),ALL('Table'[Product]))

2.PNG

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.