Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bullius
Helper V
Helper V

Line chart with subtotals and total

Hello,

I am trying to create a line chart with three lines: Line A, Line B and the Total of Line A and B. At the moment, I can only do Line A and B OR the Total

Is there a way of having all three on the same chart?

I have tried creating a measure to return the total so that I can add it to the line chart, but it doesn't let me add it:

Total = CALCULATE(SUM(Table[Amount]), Table[Category]="Line A")+CALCULATE(SUM(Table[Amount]), Table[Category]="Line B")

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bullius,

In your scenario, I would suggest you create three measures: values for LineA, LineB and Total. Then place those three measures in chart Values property, without dragging any value to Legend property. Please refer to screenshots below:

Aliqui = CALCULATE(SUM(SalesFact[Units]),Manufacturer[Manufacturer]="Aliqui")

Natura = CALCULATE(SalesFact[Total Units],Manufacturer[Manufacturer]="Natura")

Total = CALCULATE(SUM(SalesFact[Units]),Manufacturer[Manufacturer]="Aliqui") + CALCULATE(SUM(SalesFact[Units]),Manufacturer[Manufacturer]="Natura")

z2.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The solution needs to be dynamic - new values may be added to the field in question in the future.  Hard-coding a new value would mean manually maintaining it in the future. Not a very scalable option.

Confused as to why this was not built into Power BI, as this is basic functionality in excel.  The "total" value is simply the result when you remove a field from the "group by" section.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any news on this? I have same issue now and I really don't want to hardcode a calculation for each series and the total.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bullius,

In your scenario, I would suggest you create three measures: values for LineA, LineB and Total. Then place those three measures in chart Values property, without dragging any value to Legend property. Please refer to screenshots below:

Aliqui = CALCULATE(SUM(SalesFact[Units]),Manufacturer[Manufacturer]="Aliqui")

Natura = CALCULATE(SalesFact[Total Units],Manufacturer[Manufacturer]="Natura")

Total = CALCULATE(SUM(SalesFact[Units]),Manufacturer[Manufacturer]="Aliqui") + CALCULATE(SUM(SalesFact[Units]),Manufacturer[Manufacturer]="Natura")

z2.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, In Line chart, I am able to calculate the Total. But in my scenario, there are 3 Status (Success, Failure, In-Progress) in filter. S=5, F=3, IP = 2 ; Total=10 Once, I filter the status (Success), the user want to see the status =5 for the "SUCCESS" and the Total of ALL Status=10. But, it is only calculating status=5. *********** CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(ALL_Record), Filter((ALL_Record), ALL_Record[Build_Date] <= MAX(Build_Type[Date]) )) ************* Could someone, please help in this. Shishir

That solution works. Thank you!

Sorry to re-animate old topic - but I'm having the same issue and proposed solution does not work (as it's not practical once you hit more than 5-6 categories). Is there an easier way to bring Total line to the line chart? Thank you! 

achinm45
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hi @bullius

What is the message it gives ? Please do let us know.

It doesn't give me a message. It doesn't let me drag the measure on to the Legend field so that I have the Total as well as the two categories.

When I try to add the measure to the value field, it allows me to replace "Amount", but not have both. This results in Line A and B both showing the total of Line A and B (according to the measure).

I should have been clearer - it lets me create the measure, but does not let me add it to the line chart in a way that resuts in the three desired lines.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.