Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gwp
Advocate I
Advocate I

Line chart with multiple fields in Legend

In traditional pivot a user can put any number of fields in say the columns of a pivot table. Each of these fields will influence the number of columns shown in the pivot table and will show up in the legend of a chart based on that table.

In PBI desktop at least, the line chart does not allow more than one field in the Legend box. Is there a line chart or column/bar chart that supports multiple fields in the Legend?

I don't believe I'm looking for hierarchy / drilldown behavior here - what I want is to be able to drag columns ad hoc from my dim table into the Legend and have these additional fields show up on the plot as series names.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gwp,

Based on my test, currently line char/bar chart not support drag multiple fields to legend. These charts' axis and values field support multiple fields.

For your requirement, you can vote below idea:

Ability to use multiple fields on a legend like an Excel pivot chart

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
MalJan19
Frequent Visitor

I used this article and modified the code provided to get around the issue of not having multiple fields in the legend. I'm not sure if it would work for every use case, but it's a good starting point.

https://prathy.com/2018/12/dynamic-legend-in-power-bi-visual-linechart/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. This is definitely something that needs to happen.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This should be made a TOP priority! just like the PBI dev team did for the tables (and matrix).

The line chart is a gimmick until this is done  

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gwp,

Based on my test, currently line char/bar chart not support drag multiple fields to legend. These charts' axis and values field support multiple fields.

For your requirement, you can vote below idea:

Ability to use multiple fields on a legend like an Excel pivot chart

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi, is there any update or woraround on this ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did this get updated in the most recent version of Power BI in June 2019?

It did not, unfortunately.

I already voted for the suggested idea, but I wanted to make sure that I'm correct in thinking this matches the functionality gap I'm seeing.

We have a set of data. in a similar format

Date | Week Num | Bills | Receipts

This data set runs for two years.

If I have a line chart and use 

Bills as the Values

Week Num as the Axis

Date (Year) as the Legend

I can see a line chart comparing 2016's Bills to 2017.

However IF I try to use a line chart to do the following

Bills and Receipts as Values

Week Num as Axis 

I am unable to put Date (year) as the legend which would allow me to have one chart that shows 2016 Bills, 2017 Bills, 2016 Receipts, 2017 Receipts.

Does that match the OP's problem?

Voted- thank you!

I already voted for the suggested idea, but I wanted to make sure that I'm correct in thinking this matches the functionality gap I'm seeing.

We have a set of data. in a similar format

Date | Week Num | Bills | Receipts

This data set runs for two years.

If I have a line chart and use 

Bills as the Values

Week Num as the Axis

Date (Year) as the Legend

I can see a line chart comparing 2016's Bills to 2017.

However IF I try to use a line chart to do the following

Bills and Receipts as Values

Week Num as Axis 

I am unable to put Date (year) as the legend which would allow me to have one chart that shows 2016 Bills, 2017 Bills, 2016 Receipts, 2017 Receipts.

Does that match the OP's problem?

Yes, that's basically the same issue I ran into - currently the charts don't support multiple fields in Legend.

In your case, you seek to plot two values/measures (Bills and Receipts), thus Values needs to show up in the Legend, which prevents you from adding Year to the Legend.

Thanks for the confirmation.  It seems like a pretty frustrating limitation. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.