Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stuross
Frequent Visitor

Line chart view data by year and month

I am trying to view my date by year and month.  Issue arises when I filter on more than a single year, I still only see 12 months on my plot and it appears that it is aggregating the data from each month over both years.  What I would like to see below the axis is for 2016 all the months data values then right bedisde it 2017 and the months with data vlaues.  I think I am missing some very obvious as this is a pretty standard way of pltotting time data.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Years.pngyears plot.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SqlJason
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

To do that, you can create a new calculated column in your date table (if it is already not there) which is the concatenation of your year and month. Then, if you place that in the axis, you will get 36 months when you select 3 months. This type of chart helps us in seeing a long term trend.

If your aim is to compare months of each each year, you can place Year on the legend and then you will see 3 lines. This type of chart compares how we are doing every month compared to the previos years.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SqlJason
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

To do that, you can create a new calculated column in your date table (if it is already not there) which is the concatenation of your year and month. Then, if you place that in the axis, you will get 36 months when you select 3 months. This type of chart helps us in seeing a long term trend.

If your aim is to compare months of each each year, you can place Year on the legend and then you will see 3 lines. This type of chart compares how we are doing every month compared to the previos years.

Perfect!  Thank-you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.