Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Grygger
Frequent Visitor

Line chart like a running total, customer proportion of who had X days b/w first + last order

I'm trying to recreate the visual chart below. The x axis represents the number of days, tracking the proportion of customer's who had X days between their first order and last order in the specified time range.

The linechart is the number of customers who have at least X amount of days between their first and last order, or more divided by the total # of customers with a first order in this time period.

i.e. By 100 days after the first order, roughly 85% of customers have had more orders, with their final order being at least 100 days after their first order in this time period.

My struggle is when using Customer IDs in a field, I'm able to correctly identifying the # of days between the first and last order for customers using this code 

Retention(Days) = DATEDIFF(CALCULATE(MIN(data_table[Purchase_Date])), CALCULATE(MAX(data_table[Purchase_Date])), DAY)

However, this visual below, I can't include the Customer ID into the fields and I'm struggling how to create something like a temporary table for these values that I could use to aggregate how many have met the criteria for X days between the two orders.

chart.png

2 REPLIES 2
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Grygger ,

I created some data:

vyangliumsft_0-1629094030601.png

Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Create measure.

Measure =
var _mixorder=
MINX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Customer]=MAX('Table'[Customer])),[order])
var _maxorder=
MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Customer]=MAX('Table'[Customer])),[order])
var _mindate=
CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[date]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[order]=_mixorder))
var _maxdate=
CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[date]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[order]=_maxorder))
return
DATEDIFF(_mindate,_maxdate,DAY)

2. Result:

vyangliumsft_1-1629094030602.png

If the result is not what you expected, can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

@v-yangliu-msft  Hi Liu,

So I've managed to get the first piece of the code down that calculates the # of days between the first and last order for each customer;

Retention(Days) = DATEDIFF(CALCULATE(MIN(data_table[OrderDate])),
                            CALCULATE(MAX(data_table[OrderDate])),
                            DAY)

The second piece that I'm still struggling on is the chart visual itself. The logic behind it basically says from 0 to X days from now; what's the count of customers who have been retained (based on the measure) for at least X days or more!

i.e. on the x axis of that chart, if it was day 40, how many customers have their retention measure return as 40 or greater. That count is then divided by all overall customers in the specified time range.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.