Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LP2803
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Line chart from the column with delimiter

Hi Team,

I have the data in below format which i downloaded from API.   I need to plot a line chart based on values in "Column1.audioIn.packetLoss" where the datapoints are having delimiter ";" 

These data points are captured every min from the starttime till endtime. Can anyone help me or give me an idea how i can plot this in line chart with timestamp having 1 min increment?

LP2803_0-1607706610755.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @LP2803 

Please download the PBIX file with all the following data and visuals.

There are a few steps required but you can end up with this

packet-loss-series1.png

You will of course need to split the packet loss column into separate values, creating new rows for each value

pl-split-rows.png

and I added an Index column just as an extra identifier for each series.

Then, you need to extract the Start Time which you will use on the x-axis. I also added another Index column just in case you wanted to plot all values against an arbitrary x-axis from 1 to 16.

start-times.png

Now by grouping on Start Time 

start-time-groups.png

You can add an Index for each of the Tables for each different Start Time , you can see this Index Series column has  values from 0 to 7 for both sets of readings.

index-series.png

By adding the values in Index Series to the Start Time we end up with a column of times differing by 1 minute increments and this can be used as the x-axis in the line chart

reading-times.png

Please note that not all of the above columns are required for charting, I just left them in there for you in case you wanted them for something else, but columns like Start Date and Index could be removed.

With this data you could create a line chart showing all packet loss values against time like this

pl-v-rt.png

But I thought it probably made more sense to split the data into 2 series and plot them separately. To do this I duplicated the 1st query twice, and in these new queries only kept the data required to chart that series.

all-queries.png

So you can now chart Series 1 (readings taken from 2:11:52pm) and Series 2 (readings taken 2:11:20pm) separately.

series1-chart.png

series2-chart.png

Please check out the PBIX file I linked to above for all the queries, data and charts shown here.

Regards

Phil

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.
If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

@LP2803 

Glad to help 🙂

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @LP2803 

Please download the PBIX file with all the following data and visuals.

There are a few steps required but you can end up with this

packet-loss-series1.png

You will of course need to split the packet loss column into separate values, creating new rows for each value

pl-split-rows.png

and I added an Index column just as an extra identifier for each series.

Then, you need to extract the Start Time which you will use on the x-axis. I also added another Index column just in case you wanted to plot all values against an arbitrary x-axis from 1 to 16.

start-times.png

Now by grouping on Start Time 

start-time-groups.png

You can add an Index for each of the Tables for each different Start Time , you can see this Index Series column has  values from 0 to 7 for both sets of readings.

index-series.png

By adding the values in Index Series to the Start Time we end up with a column of times differing by 1 minute increments and this can be used as the x-axis in the line chart

reading-times.png

Please note that not all of the above columns are required for charting, I just left them in there for you in case you wanted them for something else, but columns like Start Date and Index could be removed.

With this data you could create a line chart showing all packet loss values against time like this

pl-v-rt.png

But I thought it probably made more sense to split the data into 2 series and plot them separately. To do this I duplicated the 1st query twice, and in these new queries only kept the data required to chart that series.

all-queries.png

So you can now chart Series 1 (readings taken from 2:11:52pm) and Series 2 (readings taken 2:11:20pm) separately.

series1-chart.png

series2-chart.png

Please check out the PBIX file I linked to above for all the queries, data and charts shown here.

Regards

Phil

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.
If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

@PhilipTreacy  Stunning. I didn't get any errors while applying your solutions to my requirement. 

Also, I really appreciate one unique quality of yours, that is... you give complete steps to get to the solution that we are looking for.  I liked it 🙂

@PhilipTreacy Thanks a lot Philip.  I'm gonna try this solution tonight and get back to you with questions or accept your solution 🙂 

I honestly say "Thank you so much". I can see how much effort you had added here. 🙂 Appreciated.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @LP2803,

It seems like your records have compressed into one row, I'd like to suggest you split them and expand to the date range first.

BTW, power bi not able to use line chart analysis date ranges of multiple date fields, so you need to manually generate the records of the date range.

If you confused about the coding formula, please share some dummy data with table format then we can simply test with these.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft Thanks a lot for your response. I will definitely share some sample data by today.  But how to attach file here?

Hi @LP2803,

You can upload to onedrive for business and share the link here.

Notice: Please double-check on your sample file to confirm it not attached any sensitive data.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft Thanks to you too.  I will make note of it from next time uploading files. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.