Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Line chart Z-Order

Is there a way to specify the Z-order of multiple series on a line chart?

Specifically, how would I force the red line to appear in front of the blue line in the following line chart?

Z-Order.jpg

I have tried ordering the items in the Values specification.  This only affects the ordering of the legend items, but not the actual line display.

Thanks,

Ross

UPDATE: As noted in the accepted solution, the key to the Z-ordering is to refresh the display after  changing the order of the items in the values list.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous

There is a workaround: after change the order of values, please changes pages, or save and reload the report, then it will draw lines in the order that the Legend shows things.

Product team will look at possible sorting the line elements at a later time.

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi,

It looks strange. I will do more test and post later.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Having the same issue with one line on top of another, and no impact of sort order on this.  Sort order only changes the lengend.  Using 2.46.4732.721 64-bit (May 2017)

Did anything get solved here?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still nothing concretely resolved.

However, after randomly moving things around hoping to find some correlation, the desired display order started working.

But I have no idea if/what change may have actually initiated the resulting display.

chart.png

@Anonymous

There is a workaround: after change the order of values, please changes pages, or save and reload the report, then it will draw lines in the order that the Legend shows things.

Product team will look at possible sorting the line elements at a later time.

Best Regards,
Herbert

My line chart is a single value measure with a variable in legend (as opposed to mutliple values).  This fix isn't solving this for me.  Have tried the solution and not experiencing it being fixed unfortunately.  The variable on the legend is sorted and working on other charts.  

In case anyone asks, I have tried reversing the sort of the variable to solve the problem and that doesn't make it change

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Change your order so that the measure you want is the dominant line. Then go into the format area and switch your data colors?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

That was my initial expectation and the first thing I tried.

It does change the order in the legend, but does not appear to affect the line display:

Z-Order2.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.