Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nrahn

Line and column chart, Line one two axis

I have created a Line and clustered column chart and i have the columns and lines working correctly except for the measure for the columns i want to change from a column to a line. The measure field is a total average of the %var. I want this to be a line but stay on the column axis. please note that the mar% is on a different axis than measure and %var

powerbi.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nrahn

It appears there is currently no way to do this in PowerBI

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
nrahn

It appears there is currently no way to do this in PowerBI

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @nrahn,

Taking into account that both your axis are in percentage if in the Y-Axis options you turn off the secondary axys the visual will be reformated to only use one axis for both columns and lines.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

You are correct but this will not work for my solution as the data realistically could be as separate as they are. Columns and total avg in the -% while the margin above +50%. turning off the secondary changes the chart to look like the below.

powerbi.png

Did you try use the star and end to reset the size of you two Y-axis

Regards

Miguel Félix

yes even when changing to my min of realization (-.018 and max of margin (.63) the columns are discernable from each otherpowerbi.png

What kind of result you need or want? Because since your data as so much variance between the positive and negative using a single Y-Axis will always give you this chart.

Regards

Miguel Félix

as stated in the original post I want to convert the Total Average Realization field to a line on the same axis as the realization column.

Left Axis (Realization%) (-)2% - 0%

-Realization (column)

-Total Average Realization (line)

Right Axis (Margin %) 60%-63%

-Margin % (line)

Hi @nrahn,

Sorry but at first I didn't understood wht you needed, Again the questions is the range of values that you use for you information, if your chart was only Clustered columns you add the option to add analytics to it, check this link: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-analytics-pane/

However the type of chart you chose only gives trend lines not averages, again I believe that the question you have is related with the difference between your two averages.

Even in excel this would go trough several change in the "standard" charts and selecting wich type of charts correspond to each series of data.

In my opinion the best way would be to separe both visuals doing a visual with the Realization and adding the trend line average and another with realization, ormaybe put the average value or realization in a separate card visual.

For me as a end user it's confusing to have to axis with different scales in all of my years making reports and preparing charts, I have always tried to have the information in the same format in order to have it comparable, it's one of my best practices.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.