Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jaaeson
Frequent Visitor

Line and Stacked Column Chart - Totalised scheduled production hours vs a capacity line

I have a production plan table with hours required per product per line per week.

I want the hours per product as stacked columns for each week and the line as a slicer (this I can do).

Where I come unstuck is that I want to use the line series to show the total capacity available vs those stacked product hours bars.

The available hours per line per week comes from a separate table. When I try to combine the production plan required hours with the available hours I end up getting the available hours each week added for every product in the week. I've tried various ways of relating the tables and using DAX to calculate/combine but I can't get it to behave as required when slicing for different production lines/combinations.

Production table

WeekProductLineRequired Hrs
1AppleA20
1PearA30
1PinappleB50
1CarrotB60
1GingerC90
1SausageC80
2AppleA10
2PearA70
2PinappleB40
2CarrotB30
2GingerC80
2SausageC90
3AppleA50
3PearA30
3PinappleB40
3CarrotB60
3GingerC30
3SausageC90

Capacity Table

WeekLineAvailable Hrs
1A80
1B90
1C100
2A80
2B100
2C100
3A80
3B80
3C80

Desired output

Line B.png

Line A.png

Line AB.png

   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
moizsherwani
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Unfortunately, I am still not 100% sure I understand your problem but can you see if tweaking the model in the manner given will resolve the issue. Remember to use the Line and Week in any visual / tables from the Dimension (Line and Weeks) tables and not from the Fact (Production and Capacity table)

moizsherwani_0-1632085401760.png

Thanks,

Moiz
Was I able to answer your question? Mark my post as a solution to help others. Kudos if you liked the solution.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
moizsherwani
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

The desired output is not clear, do you want to show two bars for each week, one which shows the production and one which shows the capacity?

Thanks,

Moiz
Was I able to answer your question? Mark my post as a solution to help others. Kudos if you liked the solution.

Thanks for seeking clarification - for each week (1,2,3 in this case) I would like a stacked bar of required hours for all products in that week. The capacity is then shown as a separate line series. Here's a chart with the full dataset that I have working in PowerBI - where it falls apart is that it adds together the capacity value for every product, rather than taking one value per line. I can get a workable result for one line by changing to use the average, but that doesn't work when I slice for multiple lines at the same time, because in that case I need the two different capacities added. In the example below you can see the capacity line is below the required hours in the first half of the chart (shortfall of capacity) and then above in the second half (excess capacity).

jaaeson_0-1631991693263.png

jaaeson_1-1631992166617.png

Currently I get capacity by looking up the hours for a given line in a given week from the capacity table. LineWk is just the line and the week concatenated to use as a lookup field.

LineWkHrs = LOOKUPVALUE(Capacity[Available Hours],Capacity[LineWk],'Extract'[LineWk])

And then in the production table I have a mesage that averages to workaround the duplication of avalable hours for every product, that is what is plotted via the "line values" optoin in the visualisation.

Capacity = CALCULATE(Average('Production'[LineWkHrs]))

I expect I have well over complicated this and gone off down a rabbit hole...

I think I can just append my capacity and production tables and then work directly on that, although there's versions of plans in the production one that add back some complexity...

moizsherwani
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Can you please share a snippet of "Model" view (as this may be where the fix needs to happen)?

Thanks,

Moiz

jaaeson_1-1632023107906.png

Thanks for persevering!

• The production table has various values per material per receipt wk. (i.e. product per week)
  • The Total Receipts is divided by the rate (ctn/hr) for the material in the Lookups table to get the required hours for that material that week. (as of this snapshot I have the information calculated in PowerQuery and stored as the PrdnHrs column).
  • The capacity table has values of available capacity per line per week.
  • Lookups table is joined to Production by material ID.
  • Capacity table is joined to Production by LineWk

I think the crux of the problem is I don't know how to prevent the capacity figures from being combined for every instance of a material in the production table. I want a stack of total production that I can have sliced by various product groupings from the lookup table and have that showing against a capacity figure that only combines for every instance of "Line".

moizsherwani
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Unfortunately, I am still not 100% sure I understand your problem but can you see if tweaking the model in the manner given will resolve the issue. Remember to use the Line and Week in any visual / tables from the Dimension (Line and Weeks) tables and not from the Fact (Production and Capacity table)

moizsherwani_0-1632085401760.png

Thanks,

Moiz

Yes, I needed to use the weeks/line from the dimention table. So simple after going down a rabbit whole of DAX formulae...  Well, I've learnt a lot of new tricks and you've taught me a key fundamental. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.