Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rokacl
Helper I
Helper I

Line and Column Chart - Tooltip for bar and line

Hi There,

I need to make 2 differents tooltips for one line and column chart, but the problems is that I cant find the way to define different tooltip for each other, if I use one, I have the same information in bars and lines, 

In other words, one tooltip if I hover a column, and other tooltip if I hover a dot in the line series,

I think I have seen some PBI with that feature, but I cant find it,

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rokacl
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you both for the answers, the workaround is a nice option, but a little bit complex for make everything look good,

I just made a more complex tooltip report page, so I was able to show information of bar and line at the same time, not optimal, but good enough

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rokacl
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you both for the answers, the workaround is a nice option, but a little bit complex for make everything look good,

I just made a more complex tooltip report page, so I was able to show information of bar and line at the same time, not optimal, but good enough

Thanks

Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @rokacl ,

Try using a work-around for achieving this. A lot of formatting and sizing will be needed.

Follow below steps:

1. Create line chart

2. Create column chart

3. Diable background for both visualizations

4. Overlap both visualizations upon each other

5. Disable X-axis for any one of the visualizations

6. Make sure line chart is in the back(Send to Back)

7. Reduce height of column chart visualization and if possible, format the column colors to be transparent

8. Take whatever different fields you want to show in tooltips of both visualizations

9. Now hover over the colum and you wil lget its tooltips

10. Hover a bit above(this is the area where line chart is present but not column chart) and you can also see different line chart tooltips

A drawback is that you won't be able to have tooltips over the markers/dots of the lines chart.

Refer below image:

tooltips.PNG

Let me know your email ID or any shared path if you want me to share the pbix.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Hi, Could you give me the pbix file to my email? Thanks
dogyu5786@gmail.com

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@rokacl , I doubt that you can do that in the same visual.

But use this to have better tooltip experience

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-tooltips

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.