Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Twinkie124
Frequent Visitor

Line Graph has dots?

I am using Power BI Desktop and am trying to create a line chart with varying interval durations. The interval durations are the way they are for a reason. 

However, the line chart is not connecting the dots as I want it to. I am guessing it is because they are different interval durations along the x axis. Is there a way to get around this without having to change my data source? Like I said, the interval durations are the way they are for a reason.

Here is a OneDrive link to the data source if you can use OneDrive.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=C2D8F82CECEA928%21696&id=documents

Just upload that to a new .pbix file and create the graph using the following settings:

The graph produced is shown below:

Settings.png

LineGraphIssue.png

As you can see, the graph above has a line graph with dots on it because of varying interval durations.

I would like to be able to have a line graph with lines using the data from the graph with varying interval durations. Like I asked, is there a way to do this without having to change my data source?

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

What structure is your data in as I cant replicate the issue

The data structure (type?) for each column is shown below:

LOCALINTERVAL

LOCALHOUR_INTEGER

DAYSAHEAD

INTERVALDURATION

ID

VALUE

Date/Time

Whole Number

Text

Whole Number

Whole Number

Whole Number

Anonymous
Not applicable

I meant more about if you have a wide or narrow table for example.

Is each value for a dateime its own row so that you have multiple rows for each datetime or are all items for one datetime on the same row with each value having its own column

My data table is structured as a wide table. The “Values” are all the same measurement/unit.

So for example, for “LocalInterval” 8/7/2018 12:00 AM, I have “Values”: 95 (1 row) and 247 (6 rows), one for each “Days Ahead” category for that interval.

Hi @Twinkie124,

Can you share the pbix file? Which visual is it? Seems there isn't a line existed.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I wasn't sure how to share the pbix file on here...Sorry  I am new to Power BI and this forum. I shared the data source with Onedrive in my first post, and you can download that and setup the pbix file yourself the way I showed? I was using the area chart. If there is an easy way to share the pbix file, I will gladly do that!
Settings.png

Hi @Twinkie124,

You did the right way to share a file. But it seems unavailable. Could you please upload it again? Please mask the sensitive data first.

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Here is the regenerated shared onedrive link for the .pbix file and the Excel file.

.pbix file
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aiipzs6Cjy0MhTdwzRZMOrx3RkaQ

Excel file
https://1drv.ms/x/s!Aiipzs6Cjy0MhT32xWV5pLnws95m

Hi @Twinkie124,

The root cause is that many values don't exist in the context even as a 0. We need to bring them in though they are 0s. Please check out the demo in the attachment.

1. Create a new table and establish a relationship.

Hours = VALUES(Sheet1[LOCALHOUR_INTEGER])

2. Create a new column like below and set its format as the snapshot shows. Why? Because the date hierarchy introduces new context. 

Date = [LOCALINTERVAL].[Date]

Line_Graph_has_dots

3. Create a measure. I used 200 in the demo to show the effects clearly.

Measure =
IF ( ISBLANK ( SUM ( Sheet1[Value] ) ), 0, SUM ( Sheet1[Value] ) )

4. Result is as follows.

Line_Graph_has_dots2

Best Regards,

Dale

@v-jiascu-msft,
The values that aren't included shouldn't be 0 though. They should be the last value that has been entered. 

I want the data to look like this for example
7daysahead.PNG

Not like this which is what the given measure is producing:
7daysahead2.PNG

Is there a measure that can be used to take the last given value? Like "Measure = IF ( ISBLANK ( SUM ( Sheet1[Value] ) ), Last Entered Value, SUM ( Sheet1[Value] ) )? Hope that is easy enough...I just don't know what it would be?

I also was unable to get the new Date column to work as you showed. Here is what I did: DateColumn.PNG

It looks like the same settings as what you had, but this is what I get when I drag and drop the Date column into my graph.
DateColumnIssureGraph.PNG

Not sure why the Date column has all the extra subheadings underneath it...yours does not so if there is a way to change that, then I think we would be good on that issue.

Thanks for your continued help. I think we've almost got it.

Hi @Twinkie124,

Please check out the demo in the attachment. It's based on your description. 

Regarding the dates in the x-axis, it a MMDD day. We need to use it directly instead of its hierarchy.

Measure 6 =
VAR latestdate =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( Sheet1[LOCALINTERVAL] ),
        FILTER (
            ALLEXCEPT ( Sheet1, Sheet1[DAYSAHEAD] ),
            Sheet1[LOCALHOUR_INTEGER] < MIN ( Hours[LOCALHOUR_INTEGER] )
        )
    )
VAR lastValue =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( Sheet1[Value] ),
        FILTER (
            ALLEXCEPT ( Sheet1, Sheet1[DAYSAHEAD] ),
            Sheet1[LOCALINTERVAL] = latestdate
        )
    )
RETURN
    IF ( ISBLANK ( SUM ( Sheet1[Value] ) ), lastValue, SUM ( Sheet1[Value] ) )

dots

Best Regards,

Dale

@v-jiascu-msft, Just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about your response. My power BI desktop is currently not working for me and I can't even open up Power BI Desktop. So I can't open your demo.

Not sure if you would know who to ask about the error: "Unable to start Power BI Desktop-We weren't able to connect to the model"? I tried uninstalling and updating the version but it still doesn't work. Or would you know how to troubleshoot this issue?

Hi @Twinkie124,

That's weird. Did you use the latest version of Desktop? I would suggest uninstall it and restart the computer and then install the latest version. I downloaded the file from my last post. It's good on my side.

Best Regards,

Dale

@v-jiascu-msft, Yeah I will have to get my my company's IT department to do that as I can't do it myself here. It may take a while for them to get around to it, but I will ask and let you know when that is done and if it is working. I also have someone who I am working with who is on vacation right now who said he had problems getting Power BI to work for him as well. I will talk with him beginning of next week too and see if we can resolve the issue.

Thanks for the help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.