Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Line Graph With Multiple Years of Data

I am trying to graph material utilization for our factory as line graph. Each line will represent the utilization percentage by month for each year in the data. The month along the x-axis will run November through October of the following year. I've made a column to rearrange the months but I can not figure out of to differentiate by fiscal year. All of the data is in one master spread sheet. This is what I've tried so far. 

Fiscal Year = IF(DATESBETWEEN('Master Data'[End date].[Date],11/1/2017,10/31/2018),"Fiscal Year 2018",IF(DATESBETWEEN('Master Data'[End date].[Date],11/1/2018,10/31/2019),"Fiscal Year 2019"))

I get an error saying that duplicate dates are not supported. I can not delete these duplicates. The utilization data is by order number, and multiple orders are run per day. 

Thank you in advance for your help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've fixed the calculation for the Fiscal Year (reversed it the first time) and I've added a column called Fiscal Year Month Number, select the Month Name in the table and then change the Sort by Column to Fiscal Year Month Number.

dates = 
VAR vMinYear = 2010
VAR vMaxYear = 2030
RETURN
ADDCOLUMNS (
        CALENDAR(DATE(vMinYear;1;1);DATE(vMaxYear;1;1));
    "Calendar Year"; "CY " & YEAR ( [Date] );
    "Calendar Year Number"; YEAR ( [Date] );
    "Fiscal Year"; "FY " & IF(MONTH([Date])>10;YEAR([Date])+1;Year([Date]));
    "Fiscal Year Number"; IF(MONTH([Date])>10;YEAR([Date])+1;Year([Date]));
    "Fiscal Year Month Number";IF(MONTH([Date]<11);Month([Date])+10;Month([Date]));
    "Month Name"; FORMAT ( [Date]; "mmmm" );
    "Month Number"; MONTH ( [Date] )
)

Then you can change the visualization to sort by month name and make sure the sorting is descending.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
adambhappy
Resolver II
Resolver II

Since the end date is in a single column, why aren't you using a date table to give you the fiscal years?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you give me an example of this?

If you go into Modeling and select New Table you can enter the following code which will give you a calendar table from 2010 to 2030, I added the fiscal year column that gives you fiscal years that start with November based on the DAX code you gave in your initial post.

dates = 
VAR vMinYear = 2010
VAR vMaxYear = 2030
RETURN
ADDCOLUMNS (
    "Fiscal Year"; "FY " & IF(MONTH([Date])<11;YEAR([Date])-1;Year([Date]));
    "Fiscal Year Number"; IF(MONTH([Date])<11;YEAR([Date])-1;Year([Date]));
    "Month Number"; MONTH ( [Date] );
    "Quarter"; "Q" & TRUNC ( ( MONTH ( [Date] ) - 1 ) / 3 ) + 1
)

Link the end date in your transaction table to the Date column in the newly created table and mark the table as a date table. Now you can use the date table to slice the data according to fiscal years.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That worked for creating the  fiscal years, but now I'm having issues with the order of the months. Also, the fiscal years are a year behind. It should be data for fiscal years 18 and 19.Capture.JPG

I've fixed the calculation for the Fiscal Year (reversed it the first time) and I've added a column called Fiscal Year Month Number, select the Month Name in the table and then change the Sort by Column to Fiscal Year Month Number.

dates = 
VAR vMinYear = 2010
VAR vMaxYear = 2030
RETURN
ADDCOLUMNS (
    "Month Number"; MONTH ( [Date] )
)

Then you can change the visualization to sort by month name and make sure the sorting is descending.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adambhappy  I was hoping you could help me make an adition to this date table. I am trying to add a column that will allow me to filter by week using a slicer with the date of the first day of the week. For example, this month the slicer would contain 11/04/19, 11/11/19,  11/18/19, and 11/25/19. When one of the dates is selected it would filter to show the data for that week.

@Anonymous Simply add a column where you remove the weekday from the [Date] column

dates = 
VAR vMinYear = 2010
VAR vMaxYear = 2030
RETURN
ADDCOLUMNS (
    "Month Number"; MONTH ( [Date] );
    "Start of week"; [Date] - ( WEEKDAY([Date];2) - 1 )
)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your help! That works perfectly!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors