Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Rylee
Helper I
Helper I

Line Chart with Time Periods as Column Headers

I want to create a line chart showing dollar sales trend of a product over 52 weeks in a line chart. Currently, my data is formatted so the different products appear in rows, the column headers are weeks of the year, and the values of those columns are dollar sales.

This is how I would format my data if I was making this chart in Excel, but I can't seem to do this is BI.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to do this or if it is possible?

Thanks! Robot Happy

1 REPLY 1
chbraun
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

the format of your data should be like this for each row: product, week, sales. Once you have that building the line chart is trivial - just put week on "Axis" and sales on "Values" in the line charts configuration pane.

Now, in order to get from the format you have to the format I mentioned above you need to unpivot your data, i.e. pull the week values into rows in a new column. Luckily, that's a ready-made action in the "Edit query" editor - just select the columns you need to unpivot, hit a buttom - et voila, you have the data in the format you need. 🙂

Here's a link to a step-by-step description: Pivot and unpivot with Power BI

Hope this helps!

Christian

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.