Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DavidNash
Regular Visitor

Line Chart with Date Value Y-Axis

I am trying to make a line shart with date values on the Y-Axis. Is there any way to do this? The current line shart only seems to allow numerical values to be shown.

9 REPLIES 9
Riddim
Frequent Visitor

Hi David,

i am look for a way to have Date on y axis

Did you find that ? 

Thanks

DavidNash
Regular Visitor

I have an X axis that is categorical by Month. The Y axis needs to show dates to show how milestones are changing each month report to show a trend. It can be done in Excel so this is a much needed functionality in BI.

Could you provide an example (picture) of what you're trying to achieve? I'm still a bit confused at the conecpt.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Capture.PNG

As a clunky workaround, maybe:

- create a column/measure that calculates the difference in days between the bottom value on the y-axis of the image you've posted

- use that figure as your y-axis value

- set your y-axis start/finish to fixed values

- then turn off the axis labels and use text boxes to label it as dates in the correct spots

Not ideal but I can't think of a better way round it right now

Could you not try to extract the day from your date and convert that to a number?

Yes that works but my client wants to see what the date is not only the trend. So it needs to be in date format.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DavidNash,

For a chart visual, it is not able to add a date field into Y-axis, as you know, Y-axis allows numerical values only. Also, fields added to Y-axis will be aggregated by default.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Out of interest, why would you want date on the y-axis? What would be on the x-axis? 

In a line graph the y is a values axis (the dependent axis), and shows the value of the X axis at a given point, so this would not make much sense.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.