Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

okusai3000
Helper IV
Helper IV

Line Chart until selected month

Hello everyone,

I have made a supplyers report where I'm showing how high has been the total purchase until the month selected.  On my first version, I did the running total more "manually" in a way that I had to select month per month to get the running total.

On this version, I created a running total with a quick measure so my idea was to being able to select the desire month in an easier an visual way:

Captura.JPG

The problem is that now I get just those dots instead of all the values until the selected month.

One option was to disable the link between the chart and the filter selection, but this "solution" just shows the whole year, while my intention is just to show until the selected month.

captura 2.JPG

as you can see here, for "march" it shows the whole year

Do you have any idea of what should I do?

Thank you so much!

Regards from spain!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @okusai3000

finally, add the month column from the new created table to a slcier, select an item in this slicer, the line chart only show values untill the selected month. 

You only need one slicer, the column added to the slicer is the month column from your new created table, not your original table.

Measure 2 = SELECTEDVALUE(Table1[month])

This show the item when you select a item in the slicer, Table1 is the new created table.

Measure 3 = IF(MAX(your original table[month])<=[Measure 2],1,0)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @okusai3000

Assume your running total is correct, to get all the values until the selected month, 

first create a new table with a month column (note that don't create relationship between this new table and your data table)

then create a measure

next create another measure, and add this measure to the visual level filer of the line chart, set 'show items when value is 1)

Measure 3 = IF(MAX([month])<=[Measure 2],1,0)

finally, add the month column from the new created table to a slcier, select an item in this slicer, the line chart only show values untill the selected month.  

1.png

This is limited for the axis doesn't show other months except the months before selected month.

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

I cannot understand the thing about the filter. I mean, from what I understand you, in that way I would end up having 2 filters?

Thanks!

EDIT: I get something like this:

screenshot1.JPG

Hi @okusai3000

You only need one slicer, the column added to the slicer is the month column from your new created table, not your original table.

This show the item when you select a item in the slicer, Table1 is the new created table.

Measure 3 = IF(MAX(your original table[month])<=[Measure 2],1,0)

Maggie, Can you please check the last message that I wrote on this post please? 🙂

Hi @okusai3000

I tested before, but i 'm afraid i am unable to solve this problem.

Maybe you could use diferent measures in these visuals, this is to say, in the line chart, put the measures i suggested in the previous post, and put your measures in the other visuals.

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

Would like to tell you that finally I managed to solved it. The key thing was to copy the whole database table; then create the same measures again (with the reference to this new table); and now use this table to create the graph, of course using the Measure 2 and measure 3 that you showed me.

In this way, as this table will be isolated from the rest (with no relations), there won't be any confusion on filters and everything will just work flawlessly! 

Thank you so much!

Hi @v-juanli-msft,

I'm still having trouble....

Doing what you explained me, allows me to have a correct graph... BUT, that makes that the rest of the values from the matrix display the WHOLE purchases of the year. In other words, the filter it's broken on the rest of values.

I attacched you a picture and just in case the PBIX.

Thank you!!captura3.JPG

https://we.tl/t-a8k75UXUbH

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You need to write your measure for your line chart such that you get the MAX of the Month in your slicer and then you would get ALL of your table and then filter it down accordingly. 

You could use something like my Time Intelligence the Hard Way to get the job done. See if my Time Intelligence the Hard Way provides a different way of accomplishing what you are going for.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Time-Intelligence-quot-The-Hard-Way-quot-TIT...

Should be some variation of:

Gross Margin YTD1 = 
VAR __Month = MONTH(MAX(Sales[DateKey]))
VAR __Day = DAY(MAX(Sales[DateKey]))
VAR __Year = YEAR(MAX(Sales[DateKey]))
VAR __Today = DATE(__Year,__Month,__Day)
VAR __YearStart = DATE(__Year,1,1)
VAR __tmpTable = FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Sales),Sales[DateKey]>=__YearStart && Sales[DateKey]<=__Today)
RETURN 
SUMX(FILTER(__tmpTable,MONTH([DateKey])<=__Month),[Gross Margin])

But, sample source data would help greatly. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.