Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JocelynLu
Regular Visitor

Line Chart as "Excel Scatter Plot"

Hello, I'm trying to plot a large data set over an extended period of time. 

For example:

Date-Time, Average Feed Pressure (PSI)

2/8/16 0:00, 10.66

2/8/16 0:05, 11.3

2/8/16 0:10, 11.56

2/8/16 0:15, 11.68

... and so on.

I want to plot this value vs. time in a format identical to Microsoft Excel's "Scatter Plot", but the only option I can find that's similar in Power BI is the "Line Chart". (The built in "Scatter Chart" in Power BI doesn't work the same way as the "Scatter Plot" in Excel.)

Is this possible? Thanks in advance for the help!

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @JocelynLu,

Please check that if the LineDotChart custom visual meets your requirment. For more details about using  the linedotchat in Power BI Desktop, please review this blog: http://www.dagdoo.org/dotted-line-chart-play-axis-power-bi-desktop/.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Hmm, I see what you mean, the bubble chart does not like date/time values in its x-asix and putting it in the play axis isn't going to get you what you want. The line chart works but its a line and not single points. You might find something in the Custom Visuals Gallery or, you could use an R visual like this:

library("ggplot2")
p <- ggplot(dataset,aes(dt,ps))
p + geom_point(,dataset)

My columns were named dt and ps. I had to set my dt column to Text instead of Date/Time because Power BI R wanted to put in Year, Month, Day and you wanted to get to minutes. 

So, you might have to manipulate things a bit to get it to work, but I got the same point graph using this (this version ignores the internally built dataframe)

library("ggplot2")
dt = c("2/8/16 0:00", "2/8/16 0:05", "2/8/16 0:10", "2/8/16 0:15")
ps = c(10.66,11.3,11.56,11.68)
data <- data.frame(dt,ps)
p <- ggplot(data, aes(dt, ps))
p + geom_point()

ggplot.png

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.