Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

david_MAS
Frequent Visitor

Line Chart X-Axis Dates

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to Power BI and am struggling to find an answer to a question I have - although it's possible I'm not asking the question in the right way.

I'm working on visualising datasets that I receive from external organisations, and have got about 80% of what I need sorted, except for the following.

The headings in my files (in Excel) come in roughly the format shown at the bottom of the post. where we have 2 descriptive columns (Participant Name & Channel) which get populated with text information, and the monthly columns afterwards get populated with volumes (just numbers ranging between 1-3 digits - no other formatting etc.)

What i need to be able to do, is have the month columns (Apr-18 onwards) as the horizontal axis on a line and stacked column chart so that I can regularly update the volumes each month and have a running set of colums / lines to compare volumes month by month.

Obviously in Excel I'd just manually choose the month parts of the header row as my axis and then link the volumes to the relevant columns in the table, but this is too manual so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies if there is already a solution posted to this query or if i'm missing something obvious.

Thanks

Participant NameChannelApr-18May-18Jun-18Jul-18Aug-18Sep-18Oct-18Nov-18Dec-18Jan-19Feb-19Mar-19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @david_MAS

For what you want you will have to pivot your table to have one line for one value. -> http://radacad.com/pivot-and-unpivot-with-power-bi

I've made an example with Eric.

pivotunpivot.PNG

With that you will be able to make what you want

- Quentin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @david_MAS

For what you want you will have to pivot your table to have one line for one value. -> http://radacad.com/pivot-and-unpivot-with-power-bi

I've made an example with Eric.

pivotunpivot.PNG

With that you will be able to make what you want

- Quentin

Hi Quentin,

Ah I see, that makes sense. So in order to assign a date axis it has to be in the dataset vertically and cannot be selected manually in same manner as excel.

One more Q - If I have a dataset that only has one months data (in this case Apr-2018,) whereas other datasets being used for comparison contain a full year - such as forecast for 18/19 and volumes for the previous year - is that likely to result in a conflict?

Many thanks for your assistance. Greatly appreciated.

D

@david_MAS

It shouldn't create conflict. If I understand well, it this happen, PowerBI will sum or make regroupement, depending on what you have. But you will not have any conflict

You're welcome,

Have a good day

- Quentin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.