Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

hangell
Frequent Visitor

Line Chart X Axis (Date) showing "Blank"

I have a set of data  where issues/calls are logged into a spreadsheet. I want to show a line graph over the entire time span of the data which is approx 3 years. My go-to method for something like this is to create a Date Table using the following steps, inspiration for this was taken from here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-show-2-years-on-x-axis-of-bar-chart-when-displaying/... and has worked well for me for 18 months now:

1) DateTable = CALENDAR(DATE(2018,1,1),DATE(2030,12,31))
2) YearMonthNumber = (Year(DateTable[Date])) * 12 + Month( DateTable[Date])
3) MonthYear = Format(DateTable[Date],"mmm") & "-" & Format(DateTable[Date],"yyyy")
4) Sort MonthYear by YearMonthNumber

Then I link a column from the data which is a Date type, in this case "Issue Logged On" to DateTable[Date], then I would insert a line graph, put DateTable[MonthYear] on the X-Axis and a column from the Data in this case "Call No." as the Y-Axis set to "Count of".

This time though the line graph simply shows on the X Axis "Blank" and the Y-Axis just displays the total number of issues. 

I've done this hundreds of times before with similar data with no issues but cannot fathom why the X-Axis is showing "Blank".X-Axis Blank.JPG

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Looks like the relationship is not working.

Maybe "Issue Logged On" has a time portion in it which prevents matching with the date table?

You can test this by removing DateTable[MonthYear] from the x-axis and putting "Issue Logged On" there instead.  Do you get a reasonable-looking chart?

If so, remove "Issue Logged On" from x-axis and put the DateTable[Date] there. Does it look the same?

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Looks like the relationship is not working.

Maybe "Issue Logged On" has a time portion in it which prevents matching with the date table?

You can test this by removing DateTable[MonthYear] from the x-axis and putting "Issue Logged On" there instead.  Do you get a reasonable-looking chart?

If so, remove "Issue Logged On" from x-axis and put the DateTable[Date] there. Does it look the same?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.