Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Trudgeon
Helper III
Helper III

Line Chart Tooltips Issue

I'm getting redundant details on the tooltips of my line chart.  The salesperson name is showing up twice.  Once associated with the legend and once associated with the value.  Why is it doing this?  Is there a way to remove the "SALESPERSON" item from my tooltip?  It looks bad to have the person's name show up twice the way it does.

Thanks!

Format.PNG

Tooltips.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Trudgeon

When i add columns and measures to "Value" and "Tooltips" field and set the "Tooltip" as "Default", it shows the same as you.

1.png

As tested and reseraching, i'm afraid it is the default design in Power BI currently.

you may add your idea here to let more people know and vate for your idea, finally it may be accepted by Product team.

As a workaround, i change the Tooltip setting  from "Default" to "Report Page".

I try two methods.

One is to use Card visual and Text Box, also create new measures to show each person's value.

create measures

Michael = "Michael"

value-John = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet6[kg]),FILTER(Sheet6,[salesperson]="John"))
tootip-John = CALCULATE([kgs],FILTER(Sheet6,[salesperson]="John"))

value-Michael = IF(CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet6[kg]),FILTER(Sheet6,[salesperson]="Michael"))<>BLANK(),
CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet6[kg]),FILTER(Sheet6,[salesperson]="Michael")),0)

tootip-Michael = IF([value-Michael]=0,0,CALCULATE([kgs],FILTER(Sheet6,[salesperson]="Michael")))

in another page, called Page3, add [date] column, these measures in the Card visual, also create two Text Box and write "KGS SOLD" in it.

Then set this page as "Tooltip" by turning on "tooltip" button under the Page information and selecting "tooltip" under Page size.

for the Line chart, select "Report Page"-> Page3.

2.png

The second method please see my pbix->Page2

Reference: Report tooltip

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Trudgeon

When i add columns and measures to "Value" and "Tooltips" field and set the "Tooltip" as "Default", it shows the same as you.

1.png

As tested and reseraching, i'm afraid it is the default design in Power BI currently.

you may add your idea here to let more people know and vate for your idea, finally it may be accepted by Product team.

As a workaround, i change the Tooltip setting  from "Default" to "Report Page".

I try two methods.

One is to use Card visual and Text Box, also create new measures to show each person's value.

create measures

Michael = "Michael"

value-John = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet6[kg]),FILTER(Sheet6,[salesperson]="John"))
tootip-John = CALCULATE([kgs],FILTER(Sheet6,[salesperson]="John"))

value-Michael = IF(CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet6[kg]),FILTER(Sheet6,[salesperson]="Michael"))<>BLANK(),
CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet6[kg]),FILTER(Sheet6,[salesperson]="Michael")),0)

tootip-Michael = IF([value-Michael]=0,0,CALCULATE([kgs],FILTER(Sheet6,[salesperson]="Michael")))

in another page, called Page3, add [date] column, these measures in the Card visual, also create two Text Box and write "KGS SOLD" in it.

Then set this page as "Tooltip" by turning on "tooltip" button under the Page information and selecting "tooltip" under Page size.

for the Line chart, select "Report Page"-> Page3.

2.png

The second method please see my pbix->Page2

Reference: Report tooltip

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft , is it possible to send to the tooltip info which item is hovered on the line chart? For example, if I hover on the first line (Michael), is it possible to display info related to Michael only?

Thank you for the workarounds, @v-juanli-msft

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.