Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SabineOussi
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Line Chart - Multiple numeric values on the same X point

Hello community!

I'm trying to achieve the below (in Excel) using Power BI.
LineChart.png

Where one date has multiple values.

The aim is to show these values as separate numbers on a vertical line.

Using the same data in Power BI line chart summarizes the values by default, do not summarize option is not available.

LineChartPBI.PNG

Is there any way the above can be done within Power BI?

Thank you,

Sabine O.

6 REPLIES 6
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Alright. If you consider the data you provided and specifically look at these four datapoints:

(07-06 / 125)
(10-06 / 130)
(10-06 / 135)
(15-06 / 120)

There is no natural way for these the system to know the path between these datapoints as it could be either:

(07-06 / 125) -> (10-06 / 130) -> (10-06 / 135) -> (15-06 / 120)
or:
(07-06 / 125) -> (10-06 / 135) -> (10-06 / 130) -> (15-06 / 120)

The line chart logic uses the X-axis values as the pathing between datapoints and as this is the same value you are going to have this issue. 

Either way, to my knowledge there is no way to have more than one datapoint on the same X-axis value on a line-chart. I might be wrong here hut i've never seen it. 

I have a potential solution in mind, but it's really complicated and messy. It involves combining columns with lines in a column/line chart and essentially making the increases as very thin columns and then using two lines to draw the changes between the days. 

I'm not sure if it's possible but it might 🙂 

Br,
J

Connect on LinkedIn
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @SabineOussi 

Based on your description, I create data to reproduce your scenario..

Table:

d2.PNG

If there is no column put in the 'Legend' to classify the vlaue for each date. It will calculated the sum aggregation value of the date.

d1.PNG

When you add a column 'Category' as below and put it in 'Legend', here is the result.

d3.PNG

d4.PNG

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your help.

The request is to have one continuous vertical line showing the length/duration of that datapoint.

Unfortunately, the solutions provided do not answer that.

Thanks,

Sabine O.

Another more simple solution that should work is converting the date to datetime and adding a few hours to the (10-06 / 135) This will result in the datapoints not being on the same value on the X-axis but the result should look quite similar to what you're looking for.

Connect on LinkedIn
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd say no, you will either need to add another level of detail to the date column or use some type of category to divide the two datapoints. 

Br,
J

Connect on LinkedIn

Thank you.

Can you please elaborate?

These two numbers belong to records having same category and same attributes.

Consider it as a datapoint starting at 130 with a length or duration of 5 so it needs to end at 135.

Sounds pretty straightforward in Excel.

And a bar chart in Power BI wouldn't do it since my starting point is not zero.

Thanks again,

Sabine O.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.