Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mesmollar
Regular Visitor

Line Chart - Dim/transparency % when one line is selected

There is a degree of dim/transparency applied automatically when one line on a mulitple line chart is selected.

Does anyone know if this is customizable?  I'd like to increase the transparency of all other items on the chart when I select one line.

If not on the standard, does anyone know of any customizable vizs that provide this option?

Other ideas that would be nice:  

Bolden/thicken the selected line

Perhaps change its color to bright red when its selected

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was this idea ever submitted for voting? 

Would love to have this feature!

luca_di_odoardo
Frequent Visitor

Any news about this topic?

I'd like to increase the transparency of all other items on the chart when I select one element.

Is possible?

thanks

anbarasan
Regular Visitor

It would be really awesome to have this feature. I am struggling to visually differentiate between what is highlighted and what is not.. 

Being a visuallisation tool this is a must have feature. If I were the product development manager I would put this on the top of the list 🙂 

Cheers !

intergalaki
Regular Visitor

100% needs this feature. I have 80+ lines on a chart; if I select one, it is NOT clear which line I am supposed to follow

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Basically, it sounds like you are saying a few things:

1. You would like the ability to customize each data line/bar/measure object like you can in desktop Excel.  (I also badly want that feature)

2.  When you click on something and it highlights the thing clicked, you'd like there to be a seperate formatting configuration for "when highlighted/selected" so if you have all your lines or bars in pastel mute colors then when clicked you want to turn the measure clicked on say... neon orange...or anything really..just to make sure it REALLY pops/stands out.

3. Perhaps even have a formatting options for when object is highlighted for what the REST of the chart does "dim, fade to black, turn x% transparent, etc, etc...."

Almost right, OneWith.  

1.)  I don't need to customize each line, just looking to effect the global setting that is applied when  I select one line.  Check my other reply.  FYI, I'm sure you know this, but there is a degree of customization for each line that is already made availble.  You can select the individual colors.  But this value does not change when one line is selected.

2&3)  Yes I think you are closer to my intent with these comments.

Thanks for your reply.

Anyone else have any ideas on this?  I'm finding it difficult to accept any of the above as the solution.  I'm guessing that the answer is "no, that functionality does not exist, but you might request it in the ideas section."

I'm holding out hope that someone else has found something that has this functionality.

I'll hold open for a few more days then close.

Sadly it is a no, doesn't exist.

This is a great tool but it really NEEDS to add more customization inside the visualizations, more akin to what Excel offers where you can customize each data point, line, measure format, etc... individually.

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mesmollar,

For the line chart visualization in Power BI desktop, we are unable to customize transparency of line when we select one line. we just set the Plot Area transparency in line chart. In the format tab (the paintbrush above the fields highlighted in red line), there's a Plot Area transparency. After research, I don’t find such an custom visual about line chart. Please post your requirement in this site. Thank you for understanding.

22.png

Best Regards,
Angelia

Far as I can tell v-huizhn, the transparency of the plot area is just the background plot area itself, it does not effect the drawn lines of data.

Currently when one line is selected ALL OTHER lines have some degree of dim/transparency.  I am not looking to add custom dims and transparencies to each, just looking to be able to modify that degree of dim/transparency that is applied to all.  Seems like an easy enough option to add.

I'll try to add it to the mod requests section if that is what you are referring in the last sentance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.