Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jschwab
Frequent Visitor

Line Chart Conditional Formatting and Plot Point Shapes

From what I can see, Line Charts do not have Conditional Formatting options.

However, if I create a Bar Chart with Conditional Formating on the Data Colors and then convert it to a Line Chart, I get a Line Chart with the same Conditional Formatting as the Bar Chart. So it appears Power BI can actually do Conditional Formatting on Line Charts.

Is there a way to access Conditional Formatting for Line Charts easily, or does it only work with the Bar Chart workaround ?

Secondary question, when creating a Line Chart with Conditional Formatting, it appears that each plot point is given a Circle shape automatically, I assume so it has an object to show the changes in colors rather than using the line itself.

Is there a way to change the shape that is displayed (ie Square, Triangle, Star, etc.) ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jschwab ,

For your first question, there is no Conditional Formatting options for both the Bar chart and Line chart in the latest version of Power BI Desktop 2.69.5467.2151. If you need to set the data color for the Line chart, you can set in options below.

7.png

For your second question, you can change the plot point shapes following steps below.

1.Set the X axis type to "Categorical" instead of "Continuous", which will make the "Show marker" button available.

8.png

2.Turn on the "Show marker" button .Select the Marker shape you prefer from the drop down. For further customization => Turn On => Customize Series or other  Customize shapes, size, color and so on.

9.png

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @jschwab ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jschwab ,

For your first question, there is no Conditional Formatting options for both the Bar chart and Line chart in the latest version of Power BI Desktop 2.69.5467.2151. If you need to set the data color for the Line chart, you can set in options below.

7.png

For your second question, you can change the plot point shapes following steps below.

1.Set the X axis type to "Categorical" instead of "Continuous", which will make the "Show marker" button available.

8.png

2.Turn on the "Show marker" button .Select the Marker shape you prefer from the drop down. For further customization => Turn On => Customize Series or other  Customize shapes, size, color and so on.

9.png

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-xicai for letting me know the Shape Markers appear only when it is a Categorical Axis. Although, I'd like to ask why they only exist for Categorical ? Here is the chart I currently have:

Line Chart.png

It's a Line Chart with a Continuous X-Axis. So the Marker Shapes appear to work for Continuous Axes, the options to change them just aren't in the UI. Also, I tried changing the Shapes as a Categorical Axis and then switching back to Continuous to see if it would stay just like the Conditional Formatting does, but no dice. It looks like when you use a Bar Chart to create Conditional Formatting and convert it to a Line Chart, you're stuck with Circles.

I'm guessing this is a bug, but I don't want it to go away since I can still use it with the workaround. Is there some place I can request Conditional Formatting and Marker Shapes be added to the UI for Continuous Line Charts ?

Hi @jschwab ,

When changing the X axis to categorical , the data showing in graph will be focused on the data point.

Maybe you can post your new idea here https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas , to improve the Power BI Desktop.

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,

Amy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

It is good to avail conditional color formatting on line chart marker.

I have raised this as an idea and below it the idea URL-

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=1e2d9dea-24fc-ea11-b5d9-501ac524a3e3

Let me paste the text that I have posted on the idea here as well.

It really helps if we can do conditional formatting of Marker color on Line Chart.
That will help in distinguishing any data points that we want to highlight.

Currently work around of applying conditional formatting on Bar Chart and then converting it back to Line Chart works but the color/size of the marker gets obscured by the color scheme of (bar -> marker) for the chart itself. I tried to resize the marker size to 6 to reduce the footprint of default color scheme of "bar -> marker" but that renders the marker size to be very small. If I increase the marker size then the default color scheme renders/overshadows the condition color of the data point that has a special color (derived out of conditional formatting applied to bar chart before it was converted to line chart.

Also below is the screenshot for the issue at hand.

Line_Chart_Marker_Conditional_Color_Forum.jpg

Regards,

G

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.