Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rishtinz
Helper I
Helper I

Line Chart Coloring based on slicer selection

I have this line chart with values for different weeks. In the legend I've a department classification. I want to have slicer with Department values and I'd like the user to select a department and the chart only colors that department. 

Line chart doesn't allow me to do conditional coloring. Does anyone have a work around? could we use Calculation Items in Tabular Editor? 

rishtinz_0-1664893112944.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Here is one way.

Create individual measures for each department. In my example they follow this pattern:

Classif A = 
CALCULATE(SUM(fTable[Classification]), 'Department Table'[Department] ="A")

Next create a new Field parameter with all the individual measures:

Field parameter.png

Next duplicate the individual measures you created. In my example following this pattern (same measure; different name):

Points A = CALCULATE(SUM(fTable[Classification]), 'Department Table'[Department] ="A")

Next set up the line visual including the duplicate measures and the measure created by the field parameter (the order is important; the field parameter measure must be at the bottom of the bucket):

setup.png

Now format the line colour so that only those included in the field parameter measure have a colour (I've made the colours different but you can use the same colour for these if you wish).

colours.png

(I've also added selective labels for the FP parameter values)

And this is the result:

cf line1.gifI've attached a sample PBIX file

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Here is one way.

Create individual measures for each department. In my example they follow this pattern:

Classif A = 
CALCULATE(SUM(fTable[Classification]), 'Department Table'[Department] ="A")

Next create a new Field parameter with all the individual measures:

Field parameter.png

Next duplicate the individual measures you created. In my example following this pattern (same measure; different name):

Points A = CALCULATE(SUM(fTable[Classification]), 'Department Table'[Department] ="A")

Next set up the line visual including the duplicate measures and the measure created by the field parameter (the order is important; the field parameter measure must be at the bottom of the bucket):

setup.png

Now format the line colour so that only those included in the field parameter measure have a colour (I've made the colours different but you can use the same colour for these if you wish).

colours.png

(I've also added selective labels for the FP parameter values)

And this is the result:

cf line1.gifI've attached a sample PBIX file

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

This worked perfectly for me. I just have to tweek it to control my filters but everything else worked as I wanted it. Thanks so much Paul for taking the time to respond to my question. appreciate it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.