Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Limiting number of connections to mysql server

Hello,

Is there a way of limiting the number of connections that PowerBI will use when working with a MySql server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

Currently, there are some methods provided in power bi that you may have a try.

With the May release of Power BI Desktop you can now define incremental refresh policies for your models. At present these only apply once the model is published to a Premium workspace in the Power BI service.

You can read more about it in our blog here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-2018-feature-summary/#incrementalRefresh

In Power Query, when you right-click on the name of a query (in the left-most pane of Power Query's window), you will see selections for "Enable Load" and "Include In Report Refresh."

"Include In Report Refresh" means query is automatically refreshed when you press "Refresh" button on the ribbon.

"Enable Load" means query results are available for report builder. Otherwise you may use it in your other queries (for example to merge data), but it is not shown in the report builder.

If you don’t want to refresh table1 of the dataset, you could turn off “Include In Report Refresh” for table1. Then when you refresh the button, it refreshes except table1.

Some workarounds about Incremental load in PowerBI

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

Currently, there are some methods provided in power bi that you may have a try.

With the May release of Power BI Desktop you can now define incremental refresh policies for your models. At present these only apply once the model is published to a Premium workspace in the Power BI service.

You can read more about it in our blog here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-2018-feature-summary/#incrementalRefresh

In Power Query, when you right-click on the name of a query (in the left-most pane of Power Query's window), you will see selections for "Enable Load" and "Include In Report Refresh."

"Include In Report Refresh" means query is automatically refreshed when you press "Refresh" button on the ribbon.

"Enable Load" means query results are available for report builder. Otherwise you may use it in your other queries (for example to merge data), but it is not shown in the report builder.

If you don’t want to refresh table1 of the dataset, you could turn off “Include In Report Refresh” for table1. Then when you refresh the button, it refreshes except table1.

Some workarounds about Incremental load in PowerBI

Best Regards

Maggie

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous can you explain the use case?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am currentry using the live database of a website as workhouse for powerbi and when I refresh all data i'm drastically slowing down everyone elses reads/writes. And limiting the number of connections to the server so that it will take longer to refresh the data but the overall experience for others won't be affected seems like the logic solution for me, but I don't know if and how is that possible. @parry2k

are you using direct query or import?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

import @parry2k, i'm not sure that you have an option when it's a mysql server database , for the sql server database you do.

Power BI refresh shouldn't dramatically impact a db unless there is something else going on.

How big are your datasets?
Are you sure you're queries are working correctly, no missing joins etc?

Is it feasible to create a second database for reporting and run an overnight procedure to sync with live db (assuming you don't need live data)?
Anonymous
Not applicable

The .pbix file itself is 500 mb. The datasets are probably around 20 gb. The problem is that almost all tables are somewhat connected and need to be used for filtering. So dividing the file would be a pretty hard task. @itchyeyeballs

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors