Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Budfudder
Helper IV
Helper IV

Limiting Slicers' Scope

Is there any way to specify that a Slicer affects only some of the visuals on a particular page?

I have a report on which I want to show, on the top row, the figures for the whole organization. On the second row, I want to show the figures for one region, allowing the user to chose that region. But the slicer that enables them to do that also affects the top row, and I don't want it to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Budfudder,

Believe that when you talk about first row and second row you are talking about visual right and not rows in a table.

You should use the interactions between visuals check this documentation where you can see how to make some visuals interact with other or not, this is made from one visual to the other, so in your case you should select the slicer and then on the other visuals select if it filters or not the results.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Budfudder,

Believe that when you talk about first row and second row you are talking about visual right and not rows in a table.

You should use the interactions between visuals check this documentation where you can see how to make some visuals interact with other or not, this is made from one visual to the other, so in your case you should select the slicer and then on the other visuals select if it filters or not the results.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Thank you sir, you solved my problem. I did not know that functionality existed.

Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Slicers by default or the whole page or nothing but you can accomplish what you want with a parameter or other disconnected slicer. (i.e. you don't relate it to other tables in your model at all!)

You then write a dynamic measure that harvests and uses the value of the diconected slicer.

Here is an example.  Say I had a table

ProductSales
A10
B15
B17
B19
A17
C19
B16
A16
C15

And table of Product IDs

Product
A
B

C

I would

1. make a slicer on ProductIDs[Prodcut]
  2. Harvest the selected value form the Slicer
  3. Write a measures for Total Sales and Total Sales of Selected
  4. Use these in my visuals

Selected Product = SELECTEDVALUE(ProductIDs[Product])
Total Sales = SUM(Sales[Sales])
Total Sales Selected = CALCULATE([Total Sales],Sales[Product]=[Selected Product]

Thanks for your response - unfortunately I don't understand your solution.

In my situation, I have a table where each row is a sale. Each row contains the sale's stage and the sale's territory. I want to show:

- a visual of a clustered column chart showing a count of ALL sales by sales stage and

- another visual of a clustered column chart showing a count of just each territory's sales by sales stage.

So I created a slicer to slice by territory - the problem is that it affects both of those visuals.

I don't understand enough of your solution to know how I would apply it to my situation, where there is only one table, and each row has:

| ID | Stage | Territory |

And by the way, how did you create that table in your post?

Now you better examplined what your looking for it may be besat to learn a little more about Power BI and follow  @MFelix's advice.

This might be a little advanced but you may be able to figure it out or I'll include it for posterity. If you wanted to show the results in the same visual and and wanted to use my solution you would just make two disconnected slicers and dont' link them to your table.  You create can create the tables using "Enter Data" from main ribbon or form the Edit Query window use Power Query to create a copy of your data table, remove the other columsn excep "Territory" and then remove duplicates.  Then you set your slicer on that table and don't link it to your data table. You then need to write two measures and use && in the calculate to filter on both Territory and Region.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.