Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Limit to N months displayed on a Sales by Month bar chart

Trying to build a simple bar chart say Sales by months.

1. ideally only display a fixed number of months (Say 12 months only even if the data contains more months data)
  2. ideally only display a fixed number of months from CURRENT month (no hard coding)

Any advice on the best practice to implement this?

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You should be able to use a technique similar to:

DaysPast = DATEDIFF([Date],TODAY(),DAY)

DATEDIFF will also take "MONTH" in the last parameter. Then you can just set the filter to something like DaysPast > 30 days or 12 months for example.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I am tackling a similar scenario but for some reason, I am having some problem and I am not able to figure out the solution

In a table, I am having a column with the date. I have only 6 months of Date and data in the table.

When I pull the column to a slicer, it shows the first date and last date correctly where as when I pull the date to a table, it lists all the months. Is this a bug?

I want to calculate the number of months I have selected, but the measure always ends up showing 12 instead of 6.

The measure I am using is 

CountOfMonths = DATEDIFF(FIRSTDATE(Table1[SampleDate].[Date]),
    LASTDATE(Table1[SampleDate].[Date]),MONTH)

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that. It does work.

The only problem is that it hard coded to be today() which is current day/month. In reality, users want to be able to do from a selected / specified month (EG from a slicer). In the other words, can we do past N months from current SELECTED month instead of current month? 

@Anonymous

According to your description, it seems that you're looking for a date range slicer. There's already one official customized The Timeline Slicer.

You can download the visualization and sample from here.

Capture.PNG

There is a feature request that will enable users to make an offset to time intelligence - please vote if you think it will satisfy your needs.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/13805892-time-intelligence-base-t...

/sdjensen

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.