cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aldoh
Regular Visitor

Limit of Columns in Matrix Object

Hello,

I have one question. When I try to create a matrix object with two dimensions (one by rows and the other by columns), the object don't show me the 100% of values contained in the dimension 2 (columns). My question is, The matrix object in Power BI have a default restriction of showed values in columns ?

Like this example:

2017-01-31_10-40-58.png

In my dimension 1, I have 3 values, the matrix show me 3 values, so this is ok.

In my dimension 2, I have 50 values, the matrix show me just 43 values, so the object truncate my value columns.

Thank you for your answers !.

6 REPLIES 6
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

the matrix will only show you values for all permutations of Dimension 1 and Dimension 2 where there is an actual data in the fact table that links them both

aldoh
Regular Visitor

All values in dimension # 2 have cross-values against dimension # 1

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

there should not be any restrictions that i am ware of... I would take a look at the logic or data

aldoh
Regular Visitor

I create a PBIX file with this Excel File.

The Matrix shows me this message:

1.png

2.png

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

ok, that makes sense, I did not understand your question before... if you have too many values in the column that you use as columns for a matrix, then you can get this message.  I don't believe that limit is documented. 

Generally speaking, if you have more than a handful of columns in the matrix, the matrix becomes not very user friendly from the reporting perspective. 

Is there a reason to show that many columns in a visual?

aldoh
Regular Visitor

Thank you for your answer,

It's just a customer request Smiley LOL

Helpful resources

Announcements
November 2022 Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2022 updates!

Microsoft 365 Conference â__ December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference - 06-08 December

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power BI Dev Camp Session 27

Ted's Dev Camp

This session walks through creating a new Azure AD B2C tenant and configuring it with user flows and custom policies.