Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

residentx
Helper IV
Helper IV

Lightweight BI Tool

I'm trying to build some models and I'm just running into errors everywhere with the tool.

1. Bugs

I had memory liimits and other execution errors.

2. Loading

I had two keep problems with this.  I think I hit the limits in Excel and then tried to do PowerPivot.

I put the models into PowerPivot but the tool is slow to load now.

The other issue is related to performance. This tool is taking too long to load my models. I'm typing up this email while my models are loading.

3. Addin falling away. I added several addins but they fall away when I related the tool.

Here are some photos.

powerbi-toobigforsheet.pngpowerbi-chinaddatanga.png

5 REPLIES 5

@residentx Why are you importing your models into Excel, and then loading them into the Desktop? Are you trying to leverage existing visuals, etc? If your model is extremely large, you should consider using the Direct Query approach.

The other issue you face with your approach, is that the PBIX (Desktop file) can't be larger than 250mb.. so if you are hitting errors now... it's likely that you'll encounter errors trying to publish to the Service.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I try to clean up everything before I bring it back into PowerBI

powerbi-files1.png

Power BI can build connections automatically so if I can format my datasets right they'll just plug in.

Also, I had to use excel because some of my datasets exceeded the limits of excel and I need a powerpivot model.

residentx
Helper IV
Helper IV

These addins have to error more gracefully. I'm tried to use the fill map and it just ran out of memory and said something about missing jquery.

************** Exception Text **************
Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.JavaScriptException: '$' is undefined
ReferenceError: '$' is undefined
   at Anonymous function (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/ts/widgets/BusinessBar.js:10:5)
   at Global code (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/ts/widgets/BusinessBar.js:1:1)
   at window.onerror (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/ts/ErrorHandler.js:14:9)
   at window.onerror (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/powerbiDesktop.js:116:21)

powerbi-jquery.pngpowerbi-jquery1.png

the breakthrough...

powerbi-map.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.