Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

atif-hafeez
Helper I
Helper I

Licence to access production information from Power BI Desktop

The Maintenance Department in our company asked me to create a report for tracking KPIs from their Maintenance Application (The application is our company's product ). I created a power bi report in the desktop application which pulls information from the database (i created a local copy of the database) and presents the report to the user. Since i dont have a power bi pro license, i decided to install the desktop version on the managers machine and trained him to refresh data from there. This version of the file connects to the production database.

Our IT think that we need to purchase power bi licence inorder for us pull information from the production environment. I dont think this is true. According to them the power bi licence is similar to sql reporting server licence, where in you need to purchase a separate licence to be able to pull data from the production systems. 

Can anyone please provide some clarification on this? My understanding is that as long as dont want to share your reports from the cloud, you dont need a power bi pro or enterprise licence.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @atif-hafeez 

Get data from the data source in power bi desktop doesn't need any Licence.

Here are the details about the free licence and pro licence:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-features-license-type#per-user-license-type-compar...

and for "My understanding is that as long as dont want to share your reports from the cloud, you dont need a power bi pro or enterprise licence", Yes, your right.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @atif-hafeez 

Get data from the data source in power bi desktop doesn't need any Licence.

Here are the details about the free licence and pro licence:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-features-license-type#per-user-license-type-compar...

and for "My understanding is that as long as dont want to share your reports from the cloud, you dont need a power bi pro or enterprise licence", Yes, your right.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.