Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jrodriguez
Regular Visitor

Level of Detail Calcs

Hey Guys,

For those familiar with Tableau.....does Power BI have a way to do level of detail calculations?

http://www.tableau.com/LOD-expressions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, in Power BI this is done through DAX filter expressions combined with measures, for example:

= CALCULATE( SUM('ResellerSales_USD'[SalesAmount_USD]),ALL('ResellerSales_USD'))

A measure defined this way would give you the SUM of [SalesAmount_USD] regardless of any visual-level filters/selections. There are a number of these types of filter functions, ALL, ALLEXCEPT, etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Dealing with information at different granularites will require a specific data model, have a look here - http://www.cimaglobal.com/en-gb/Thought-leadership/Newsletters/Insight-e-magazine/Insight-2012/Insig...

Would be useful to see how your data mosel is set up in order to address your original query, can you post a screenshot?

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Are these numbers supposed to add up somehow?

Thanks for prompt response and the answer is No

When fully distributed,each level will be the sum of the lower level for every hierarchy. But most of the times, we keep always some cushion at every level for future distribution. so the numbers will never add up to the higher level. Only during end of the project the lower level may add up to the next higher level.

But that is something which can happen but should not be assumed. The drill down should display the related budget for that level only with out considering the lower level.

The real complexity comes when i add one more measure - my actual costs. Because actual costs will have many line items for every budget line, there will be challenge when we need to show budget vs actual in drill down graph. Actual costs also can happen at every level of hierarchy. For example my costs can be at project level or at 1level node or 2nd level node or at any level.

I hope my requirement is clear now and look forward for power BI solution.

Regards

Satya

Satya,

I'm having the same challenge, "how to do a Level of Detail (LOD-Tableau) calculation within Power BI?"

Were you able to understand how to go about doing this in DAX?

Thank you

Brad

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.