Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

charleshale
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Legend not working correctly in stacked column chart

The attached PBIX is a simple Revenue By Customer (anonymized).  The data looks like this.  I also have a date table.

Capture.PNG

When I do a stacked revenue chart without a Legend, the numbers sum correctly (see first tab).

Capture2.PNG

When I do a stacked revenue chart with a Legend, data goes missing and the numbers sum incorrectly.

Capture3.PNG

I've prowled through the support boards and am not finding issues that suggest user error.  Is this a bug?  It's such a simple table with 1:1 relationships that I'm not seeing the user error here.

Test File Stacked Chart - Revenue By Customer

Thank you

Charlie 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It seems that Power BI simply can not include/calculate all the customers's data.

If you filter data showing the results for a few customers only then the trend will be OK.

1.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Sergiy
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @charleshale 

The link to the file you provided is not valid.

I'll try to make a guess of what is happening. I think you have either Customer or Date column sorted by another column. If I am right make it sorted by itself and check the result.

Is my guess correct?

Apologies for the broken link.  Here's it on onedrive:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkwttVUD7SbrjCLxQ1M6jf0xeryf

Hmmm - is this doing that?

It seems that Power BI simply can not include/calculate all the customers's data.

If you filter data showing the results for a few customers only then the trend will be OK.

1.png

I agree - seems like a bug, right?   I'd expect the stacked chart to be able to handle N customers up to the memory limits, like excel!

Let's just speculate a bit.

How could a chart represent, for example, 1000 customers, if 200px(for example) is available only.

If 1px is for a customer, then for 1000 customers at least 1000px are needed, but what we have is 200px only.

@SergiyI agree with you - would be silly to try to cram 1000 customers into 200 px.   I like what excel does here:

(i) flip into a clustered column chart instead of a stacked if try a power pivot table, and 

(ii) if you then try to go stacked, it will fail, giving a warning of a 255 max series limit.

FWIW - I think something like the foregoing would be a lot better because, at least for me, it was easy in PBIX to get the chart, not see that I was only capturing half my series, and proudly publish the data to my peers, not realizing that the data series was incomplete!  Darn!  And I was so proud of my work!  So, to me the bug is mostly the alerting.  This said, charting NIRVANA would be a chart that collapses the smallest n customers in the stack.   

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.