Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sguenther
Advocate II
Advocate II

Legend column changes displayed data

Hey guys,

so I just discovered something in my reports and can't solve it. I have a table in which all actions for all users on my website are logged. So I have the following columns: userID, timestamp, action

What I want to know is the number of Monthly active users for each month. I set up a datetable and linked it via the timestamp (doesn't really matter because the problem also happens without a seperate datetable). The Monthly active users are calculated via:

Active Users = DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[UserID])

Then I just drag in the Month column from my Datetable and the "Active Users" Measure. Looks like this:

So I looks fine. Now I wanted to know how long the users were registered on the website. So I calculated a new column in this table and defined some age brackets. The Table1 is also linked to a users table (through UserID) from which I got the signup date. Now I have an additional "User Age" column in Table1 with values like (1 day, 2-3 days, ...).

As soon as I drag the User Age column in the Legend of my initial visualization the values change:

The green line chart shows the initial values as in the chart above. I have no idea by what this is caused. Must have something to do with data filtering.

Anybody an idea?

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

OK, I ran this through and created a quick model. I don't see the issue that you are seeing.

Mine is setup like so:

Shared series: Month

Column series: Age

Column values: Active Users

Line values: Active Users

Visual level filters:

Active Users (All)

Age (All)

Month (All)

Active Users is setup just like yours and I have a User Activity table (Table1) and a Users table linked by a Users 1->*User Activity cross filtered Both relationship

I would double check that your column values and line values are both set to the same thing because the only way that I could think that they could be different is, well, if they were different.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I noticed you created a relationship based on a timestamp. Does the fact table include a time portion, or are all dates set to midnight?

Same question for your date dimension.

Data Format can change what is displayed, so you may only see the date portion.

Create a calculated column in your fact table:

DateContainsTime =
FactTable[Timestamp] 
<> DATE(
YEAR( FactTable[Timestamp] )
,MONTH( FactTable[Timestamp] )
,DAY( FactTable[Timestamp] )
)

If that's true anywhere, you need to truncate off the time portion of the timestamp and use a separate time dimension.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.