Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

paulmorgan
Helper II
Helper II

Legend colors in stacked column chart are not showing up correctly.

I have a stacked column chart in Desktop, where the legend looks fine. 

paulmorgan_0-1595267507144.png

However, in app.powerbi.com, the colors show up as black.

paulmorgan_1-1595267584991.png

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Inge
Regular Visitor

@v-yiruan-msft, I can't really see that you're stacking the columns in your charts. Have a look at @paulmorgans charts in the beginning, they are stacked columns. Nevertheless, I've found what causes the error! I can't share images so I'll try to describe in words.

• Use a line/stacked columns chart, just like paulmorgans
  • Under Visualizations/Shapes, turn Show marker on
  • Everything works fine by default, all colors shows correctly even after publishing to PBI Services
  • But if you change the color of the marker (to black in paulmorgans case), the PBI Desktop works fine, but in PBI Service ALL OTHER COLORS WILL ALSO BE BLACK
  • Turning back the marker's color to default solves the problem, the different colors will show up again in PBI Service

As I said before, this is a new behaviour, it worked just fine before.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Inge
Regular Visitor

Thanks @paulmorgan 👍. But it's still a bug that I hope will be resolved asap. I don't want all my markers to be purple!

Inge
Regular Visitor

@v-yiruan-msft, I can't really see that you're stacking the columns in your charts. Have a look at @paulmorgans charts in the beginning, they are stacked columns. Nevertheless, I've found what causes the error! I can't share images so I'll try to describe in words.

• Use a line/stacked columns chart, just like paulmorgans
  • Under Visualizations/Shapes, turn Show marker on
  • Everything works fine by default, all colors shows correctly even after publishing to PBI Services
  • But if you change the color of the marker (to black in paulmorgans case), the PBI Desktop works fine, but in PBI Service ALL OTHER COLORS WILL ALSO BE BLACK
  • Turning back the marker's color to default solves the problem, the different colors will show up again in PBI Service

As I said before, this is a new behaviour, it worked just fine before.

Inge, You are a rock star! Well done! Thank you so much!

Anonymous
Not applicable

It worked! And I respect the colors put in "Data Colors" 😉

Inge
Regular Visitor

The thousand separator doesn't work either any more, not only in the line/stacked column chart. Here in Sweden we have space as a separator, and the desktop shows that correctly. But when publishing to Service it translate it to a comma in ALL tables and charts. It didn't do that before. Something must have happened in the latest update of PBI!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! Today I checked that the filters on this chart also work badly. I have a chart with sales per month, filtered so that it only shows from March to July, and on the web does not respect and takes out January and February as well.

Inge
Regular Visitor

I have the same problem, just noticed it today, have worked earlier. Yes, it's related to the combo chart "Line and stacked column". The legend colors for the columns will be the same as the color for the line chart. Doesn't help to refresh or re-publish. And it works just fine in PBI Desktop, and it also works fine in PBI Service if only a stacked column chart is used. 

Has there been any update of PBI recently?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I come for the same reason, today I no longer take good colors on the web. It looks like it's something that's going on today, the same thing is fixed for tomorrow!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@paulmorgan , clear cache and refresh and try again once.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. But thanks for playing!😊

Hi @paulmorgan ,

Sorry, I can't reproduce your problem. The legend color display in Power BI Service is just same with the ones in Power BI Desktop, you can check the below screen shots for the details. I tested them used different browsers(Chrome, IE and Edge), it works... Which type of browser you are using? And could you please update the version of Power BI Desktop to latest one and republish the report to Power BI Service? Later please check if the problem still exist...

Power BI DesktopPower BI DesktopPower BI ServicePower BI Service

If the problem still persist, you can create a support ticket for asking help if you have a pro license.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yiruan-msft, you don't use the stacked column chart, that's probably why you can't reproduce it.

Hi @Inge ,

I just tested Stacked column chart, Line and stacked column chart and Line and clustered column chart, all of them works well in Power BI Service.

legend color issue.jpg

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Figured out it relates to the combo stacked column and line chart. Using just a stacked column chart, it shows up ok.

Thanks for looking into it. 

I'm using the latest version of Power BI.

Wondering if the JSON theme I'm using is messing with it. Seems an unlikely culprit.

I'll check if anyone at our company has a Pro license.

Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.