Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Aazza
Frequent Visitor

Legend Custom Sort isn't working

I have been trying to custom sort my legend for a while now as there was originally only a sort by ascending or discending option which doesn't fit what I am trying to do. I have created an extra column in my data called Order which should create a custom sort for my legend. Sort by column order has also been selected and there has been no changes made to the bar graph.

I have attached images to show what has been done, any fixes for this issue would be greatly appreciated.

sort.pngThis is the order I am afterThis is the order I am afterThis is the current order.This is the current order.order 3.png

3 REPLIES 3
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Aazza ,

Currently, it is not possible to sort the legends, please vote for this idea.

One workaround is to add "1-", "2-",... before the field as a legend, It's not pretty, but it's useful.😓

est Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

Shaurya
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Aazza,

This seems to be an issue that a lot of people are facing. In some cases, it happens in a specific visual while in other cases it can be resolved by changing the data type of sort column to whole number. Either way, this link has steps that you can perform to try and troubleshoot. Refer:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Sort-by-column-not-working/td-p/1444819

Works for you? Mark this post as a solution if it does!
Consider taking a look at my blog: Forecast Period - Graphical Comparison 

Aazza
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for responding @Shaurya 

The data type of sort column was already set as whole number and unfortunately the outcome still remains the same. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.