Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

League Position on line chart by Year with 1st as the top of the chart.

Hi all , 

I have a measure ranking teams per year which I can put in a line graph - however it shows 1st as bottom and 20th  as top. I want it the other way round. Is there a way to swop this round, cant find it.

I did consider taking the position away from the number of teams in the league (+1) so 1  out of 20 becomes 20 - 1 = 19 + 1 = 20

and 20 becomes 20 - 20 = 0 becomes 20+1

So 1st woud show at the top. But I still need to get the position shown somehow on the graph?

Any ideas.

Thanks for your tips and time reading!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

Here is the simple process to "reverse" the y-axis in a Line chart:

1) create your [rank measure]

2) create a new measure which is simply multiplying your [rank measure] * -1

3) go into the modeling pane and select the new [rank measure] * -1. In the properties pane, select "Custom format" and format the output so that the expression for negative values is the same as positive values.

3 modeling pane.JPGFormat Custom explan.png

And you can now use this measure in the Line Chart visual to display the rank values as you would expect (including axis and point labels)

4 solution.JPG

Hope this helps!

EDIT: The actual blog article is now online if you are interested in the "long-winded" explanation!
"Reversing" the Y-axis in a Line Chart visual 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

There is actually a (relatively simple ) way of doing this. I'm currently writing up a blog post to show the "how to...". If you can hang on for a couple days it will be (hopefully) published. If  not, I can showcase the method for you here of course...(I just need to put the relevant images together to help with the explanation).

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks , yep sure let me know when you blog about it. It seems like it should be easy - but I'm not spotting the trick to it! Thankyou

@Anonymous 

Here is the simple process to "reverse" the y-axis in a Line chart:

1) create your [rank measure]

2) create a new measure which is simply multiplying your [rank measure] * -1

3) go into the modeling pane and select the new [rank measure] * -1. In the properties pane, select "Custom format" and format the output so that the expression for negative values is the same as positive values.

3 modeling pane.JPGFormat Custom explan.png

And you can now use this measure in the Line Chart visual to display the rank values as you would expect (including axis and point labels)

4 solution.JPG

Hope this helps!

EDIT: The actual blog article is now online if you are interested in the "long-winded" explanation!
"Reversing" the Y-axis in a Line Chart visual 

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PaulDBrown  thankyou very much! Perfect. I would never have worked it out myself.

@Anonymous 

I've submitted it for approval, but will post the method here if the blog post isn't made public tomorrow (no point in waiting). Can't do it right now since I've logged off my pc for the day (it's 22:40 here...)

Paul on Linkedin.

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

It's impossible to achieve the idea in current version, because the 'End value' of Y axis  must be greater than the 'Start value' of Y axis.

Please submit your idea .

v-lionel-msft_0-1594273648073.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks yes. Surely it something thats been done though graph a top ranking at the top of a visual and have it display as 1?

Thanks for your time though. Much appreciated.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Not very clear. In rank you have option asc and desc. You can use that ?

example

Rank Discount % (Brand) = RANKX(all('Item'[Brand]),[Discount %],,DESC,Dense)

Rank Discount % (Brand) = RANKX(all('Item'[Brand]),[Discount %],,asc,Dense)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks that somewhat helps - in that I will rank my top perfoming team by points , so they will appear at the top of the line chart. ie best point will be rank 20 of 20 worst ranked 1 out of 20.

I still need to have data labels though and axis details if possible. Like the image below best perfoming is at the top, but i need labels too to show if possible. Thanks

League Pos.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.