Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

leonardmurphy
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Layout Buttons All Greyed Out in Power BI Desktop (Using SSAS Live Connection)

I'm using Power BI Desktop (December 2015 - 2.30.4246.281 64-bit).

I'm using a direct connection to SSAS tabular (SQL 2014).

In the report designer screen, almost all of the buttons that are helpful for report layouts are grayed/greyed out. I can't add a text box, or an image, or a shape. I can't arrange, align or distribute. I can't change the Page View. I can't edit interactions. I can't even choose 'New Visual' or 'New Page' on the ribbon.

all greyed out.png

When I connect to an Excel file (say), then a lot more of these options are enabled.

Has anyone else noticed this? I can understand some ribbon options being unavailable with a live connection (adding new measures, etc) - but I would expect the report layout tools to be available. 

I noticed this problem on the SSAS connector. I also upgraded to the Enterprise Gateway and am still seeing it.

EDIT: If I publish the report, I do have the ability to add shapes & text boxes on the PowerBI website. (But that is risky since every time I publish, I'd have to re-add the shapes & text boxes)

EDIT 2: The November PBI Desktop appears to be working as expected. And opening a file in the December version of PBI Desktop that was created in a previous version also works as expected. So this might be quite obscure (if it isn't something wrong with my machine).

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pqian
Employee
Employee

OK we've chased the issue down. We'll add it to the list of issues to fix next round.

For now, hitting the "refresh" button will re-enable those buttons.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
chrisdas
Regular Visitor

Hello,

I'm having the same issue with the modeling tab being greyed out, but the buttons are still unavailable to select even after refreshing the data...  I'm connected via Microsoft Analysis Service Cube.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advanced,

Chris

pqian
Employee
Employee

OK we've chased the issue down. We'll add it to the list of issues to fix next round.

For now, hitting the "refresh" button will re-enable those buttons.

Hitting Refresh works perfectly. I can't believe I didn't try that.

Thanks for looking into this so incredibly fast.

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.
djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @leonardmurphy,

Thanks for raising this. I've noticed this bug too but never thougth of reporting it. Actually, I restarted Power BI each time to fix it. Now I know just to click on refresh 🙂

Cheers,

Dan

pqian
Employee
Employee

I've just tested using the december release and see the same thing, so it's not your machine...

I'll try to locate the cause and see if we can push out a fix 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.